• Register Today It's free!

Have you rebuilt your starter?

Mettler

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 exploder sport 4x4
Its Sunday night and tomorrow's a holiday, and my damn starter went out today. To top it all off, I'm broke. I'm looking for the most frugal way to get this problem fixed with out it being a "cheap fix". I don't want to buy the Autozone $93 starter but I cant really afford the Napa $163 version either. I've heard in the past that some manufacturers offer a rebuild kit for starters.
Has anyone ever done this and if so what did the kit cost and where did you get it? I know I can rebuild it. This crap is easy. I've rebuilt a couple of shifter motors for some extra cash once. A starter can't be that tough.
Any body?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rebuild kits aren't always offered for some models but you should be able to make something work if you are knowledgeable about the fundamentals of electric motors. Usually cleaning/sanding pitted contacts, fixing loose wire connections, and replacing brushes (which you should be able to find some that'll work) will solve most starter issues. It can be done.

When the starter goes out, it's usually just because the brushes have worn down. What's the mileage? They seem to last about 200,000 miles worth, depending how many times it's started. If it won't start, but then will start if you bang on the starter, then it's the brushes, since banging on the starter will get the springs to push just ever so slightly more on what's remaining of the contacts and get you another start.

It's possible that all you need is a brush assembly. These are the same thing for most Ford starters, but it usually isn't listed as a specific replacement for an Explorer.

I bought one at O'Reilly Auto Parts, back when they were ~$20. The price seems to have skyrocketed to $38.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/BWD0/X379.oap?pt=01923&ppt=C0330

You can get generic ones on ebay for cheap, or you could call around to various parts stores and try to track one down, but it might be tough to do, since most parts stores just sell parts based on make and model, and that brush assembly isn't listed as an available part, even though it works on most Ford starters for the first gen model years, and a lot of older ones. You could also always try the dealership, Ford/Motorcraft does offer the brush holder assembly as well.

As for rebuilding, you don't even need to take the thing completely apart to replace the brushes. You can just take off the end cap, unscrew the terminal from the solenoid, take out the old brush assembly, put in the new one, replace the cap, screw back on the terminal, and be done. Of course, if you have the time and the skill, taking it apart and cleaning off all of what the old brushes left behind can be a good idea, and should make the armature and all of the other parts last a lot longer. You don't even really need a rebuild kit, unless the bushings are really worn. If they aren't just re-assemble, either using new grease on the bushings or leaving the original grease on there in the first place.

I'd definitely say the new brushes are the way to go. For ~$20 or less, you can have a like new OE-quality starter that's better than the $100+ China-made junk ones they sell these days. It's so easy to replace it doesn't make sense to do anything else unless you have more serious starter problems and really need a new one.

I had a used focus starter laying around and rebuilt my ranger starter using that

The parts or kits are avalible but you may have to do like I did and walk in the store with one of there own books and show them the listing so they stop lying to you lol. After that I gathered up all the broken ford starters at the two shops and stripped them down now I dont think I'll ever have to buy one again

Pretty sure the bearings in mine were worn out which caused excessive end play in the shaft. It would start the motor just fine but would make a nasty noise just after the motor was started- I'm guessing as the starter gear stayed engaged a little longer than it should have. When I pulled the starter out and shook it, it had a considerable amount of movement- it felt really loose. The new starter I got (new- not remanufactured) was solid when I shook it.

When the starter goes out, it's usually just because the brushes have worn down. What's the mileage? They seem to last about 200,000 miles worth, depending how many times it's started. If it won't start, but then will start if you bang on the starter, then it's the brushes, since banging on the starter will get the springs to push just ever so slightly more on what's remaining of the contacts and get you another start.
Couldn't banging on the starter also loosen a sticky solenoid?
I think these are part no.s for the solenoid - SMP SS362 & drive - SMP SDN241.

Couldn't banging on the starter also loosen a sticky solenoid?
I think these are part no.s for the solenoid - SMP SS362 & drive - SMP SDN241.

Perhaps, but I haven't heard of the starter solenoid in these ever sticking. From personal experience though, I know for sure that bumping it works for a few hundred more starts when the brush assembly is worn down. I replaced it on mine, and the original factory solenoid still works flawlessly.

I've replaced solenoids on lots of these starters to great success... Rarely have I replaced brushes...

Weird.

I've replaced solenoids on lots of these starters to great success... Rarely have I replaced brushes...
I wonder if weather differences between Mississippi and South Dakota could account for different parts wearing out?
I think high humidity can affect DC motor brushes.
Can road salt be getting into the solenoids in South Dakota?

I wouldn't think the humidity and the salt would have those profound of effects... But, it is possible that it is due to differences in our relative climates and conditions. Probably a combination of far more factors than just the differences in humidity and the introduction of road salt.

The weather shouldn't have much to do with the brushes wearing out, at least for me, my X was used in NY and the midwest for much, much longer than the few years it has been in the south.

I would guess it has more to do with vehicle usage or the battery/cables that are attached to the starter and solenoid, or maybe just luck of the draw as to which parts are built to last.

My personal experience with first gens is just that it's always the brushes when it's high mileage, and you're getting that starter click so it's time for a rebuild. Not that it's a bad idea to replace the solenoid or that they don't also go out, but the solenoid on these is pretty simple, so it seems fine to keep it on there until it just stops working.

look up a place called just alternatorsandstarters.com you can get a rebuild kit with brushes, brush holders, bushings, and solenoid, for around thirty bucks.

Back