Hazard lights turn on by themselves | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hazard lights turn on by themselves

angeladixon

Reaction score
City, State
Chidester
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. The hazard lights started going off by themselves. I can turn them off but they still come on. Could it be the hazard flasher relay? Where is the relay located?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Angela. :wave:
I could be wrong but I don't believe there is a relay for the emergency flashers. I believe the turn signals are controlled by the Body Control Module) BCM which then likely also controls the 4-ways. It could be a faulty switch.
I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm wrong.

Peter

I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT. The hazard lights started going off by themselves. I can turn them off but they still come on. Could it be the hazard flasher relay? Where is the relay located?
I have the same issue. They dealership said it was the hood latch sensor. NOT! its still doing it. We have to unhook battery every night.

I have the same issue. They dealership said it was the hood latch sensor. NOT! its still doing it. We have to unhook battery every night.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I think you'd be better off getting the problems fixed by either the dealer or an independent garage. Disconnecting the battery every night will cause some systems (transmission, fuel/idle trim, to name a few) to have to relearn their settings every time. It will also result in the loss of some memory settings.
You may have to replace the panel. hazard lights and cd eject botton not working

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Angela. :wave:
I could be wrong but I don't believe there is a relay for the emergency flashers. I believe the turn signals are controlled by the Body Control Module) BCM which then likely also controls the 4-ways. It could be a faulty switch.
I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm wrong.

Peter
I'm having the same issue. Hazard lights come on by themselves. Took it to the dealership and they said the hazard switch is malfunctioning and it's going to cost $1200 to fix it. Are there any alternatives to fix this or some kind of work around?

I'm having the same issue. Hazard lights come on by themselves. Took it to the dealership and they said the hazard switch is malfunctioning and it's going to cost $1200 to fix it. Are there any alternatives to fix this or some kind of work around?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm not sure if just the switch can be replaced. In later Explorers, the entire panel that houses the switch must be replaced. Not knowing what the $1200 cost includes doing makes it difficult to say. Did the dealership explain what they had to do? A new center dash control unit seems to no longer be available. Original 2011-2012 Ford Explorer Dash Control Unit BB5Z18842AA | Levittown Ford Parts

Peter

Back