Hazardiz's 91 exploder on full widths and 38s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hazardiz's 91 exploder on full widths and 38s

Its come a long way but still has more to come i think...but here's where its at now

91 Exploder
stock 4.0 w hooker headers (3rd one)
built A4LD (still sucks - 3rd one)
stock tcase (2nd one)

front diff - 79 F150 crewcab D44 w 4.88s w aussielocker
rear diff - 88 F150 8.8 w 4.88s w aussielocker
front leafs are 2001 ranger rear packs, 2 packs per one front
rear leafs are custom built pack from local spring shop
-custom front crossmember
-F250 hangers and shackles on front springs
-F250 shock mounts up front
-38.5x15x15 boggers
-custom front bumper w 8274 warn
-custom rear bumper
-custom rockers 3.5"x3.5"x6' 3/8s welded in
-2-12 pioneer subs
-2 JL amps
-JL components in all 4 doors
-Pioneer premier 850 deck

future plans:
-347 (stroked 302)
-built AOD
-lower half exo cage
-chop top

Let me know if ya got any other ideas...thanks

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

pic 5

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good, but that front bumper looks to really hurt your approach angle??

Looks good. :thumbsup: Considering the fact that the tires are 15 inches wide on full width axles, it doesn't stick out nearly as much as I thought it would. I don't really like the fender flare things or the front bumper...but I realize that is probably to keep it legal or something. Nice job though. :thumbsup:

BTW, I am going to be doing the same swap up front, except using coils/rad. arms. I will obviously be keeping it full-width and using a Ford 9" from an 83 F150 in the rear. Again, nice job. :cool:

ya the bumper was originally made when the truck was put on the road as a temporary build...but has stuck ever since...i've bumped into trees and rocks with it and stopped dead...so its strong...and here in BC canada the bumper outside edges have to go to within two inches of the outside lug...and that bumper just pulled it off...the approach angle isn't hurt by the bumper...if at all the spring hangers...but i've only hit them once...and the fender flares are belting from the sawmill...lol...i have to have my tires covered and they do the job...i'm already planning removable ones of some sort...any ideas?lol

ho0w about just get fiberglass fenders?

i like it... but i tend to enjoy the looks of a more smooth, or maybe streetable ride. im sure that you use this thing for trails more then rodes, but i like a nice clean look to trucks.. dont think im hatin on it or anything, id gladley trade you trucks when we came to the serious trails... but up at silver lake sand dunes, where half of it is a truck show, looks matter... sorry if i sounded negative, your truck kicks ass

thanks 351W...ya the fiberglass fenders were considered but then i thought...well what if i flop it or lean it into a bank or tree and it shatters...i can't hammer it out like i can sheet metal...and it still wouldn't have covered my tires...i've thought of things like flat fender it, tube flares(removable), build custom fenders, or something...looking for input...the truck used to be my dd till i did the full widths...now its a weekend warrior...and up here in Prince George BC...its mud and trails and thats what i built it for...and so far i got no complaints...we here redneck country...GIT R DUNN!!

why not just bushwacker fenderflares??? i mean they would get the job done and they are removable if you get the bolt ons.. sure they are expensive but they looks good. also i dont know if i would do the fiberglass fenders because of the reasons you stated.. im not going to just because i dont want to have to worry about them when the trails get tight... i would much rather put a ding in my fender then shatter it. you might run into the same problem with the bushwackers, im not sure. i am running mine like it is MY PAGE and if i run into any problems with the law i will do the bushwacker thing

like you stated...they are pretty expensive and again if i lean them into anything...i also moved the front diff forward about 7 inches and cut the front piece that hangs down off and rounded the flare into it with the gap guard...the flares i have are rubber so i can rub them up against stuff all day long and it doesn't hurt them...and they actually don't cover my entire tire...and they are 7" flares...

oh and ya...like the rig 351W...looks great...how does it move with the 351? good i'd think...i wonder what mine will be like with a 347 stroker and 4.88s...hmm

fiberglass might surprise you, its pretty tough and easy to repair, the big downfall I saw when I got mine is tire visability, but a BII is small enough to get away with it :)
Find some junk yard flares, make em work.
They make glass that will cover your tires, trust me, they have like 8" buldge available.
I am not going to sell you on the glasss I know but it does work well for tire coverage, figures it comes from CA where its law still.....

Funny thing is according to CA poilice, the BII is considered a car, not a SUV so tire coverage laws do not apply......kinda like how U haul will rent you a trailer if you drive a Mercury Moutnaineer :) hahahaha

How about space your stock fenders out about 6", use sheet metal to make up the gap at the hood line :)

it moves pretty good with the 351. i would be extremely interested in seeing a 347 strocker. that would be SICK. i move my axle foreward a couple inches, not sure how much though... thanks for the compliment on my truck

hazardiz said:
front leafs are 2001 ranger rear packs, 2 packs per one front
Flexs great for having double leaf packs in front. :thumbsup: Can you elaborate on that, or put up a pic?

the double leaf pack...hmm...well all i meant by that was that i bought 4 packs and built them into two bigger packs as the stock rear leafs from a ranger wouldn't hold the front end of my truck up...so i trimmed i think 3 leafs from the second pack so that they were staggered and put them in the first pack...make any more sense?
and about the glass fenders...hmm...didn't know they made an 8" bulge version...but right now i'm just trying to figure out a removable flare cause i suffer from the same thing...lack of tire visibility...so i'll hafta see what i can do...ideas?

heavy duty baby ahah that thing rocks

hazardiz said:
the double leaf pack...hmm...well all i meant by that was that i bought 4 packs and built them into two bigger packs as the stock rear leafs from a ranger wouldn't hold the front end of my truck up...so i trimmed i think 3 leafs from the second pack so that they were staggered and put them in the first pack...make any more sense?
Yes, that's what I took it to mean. I still think it flexs really well for having a 6 or 7 leaf pack, made out of factory rear springs.

Leafs in an aftermarket spring pack have that many leaves or more, and flex well, but they are much thinner. That's why your flex surprises me. I'd still like to see a close-up pic, if you get the chance... :)

i like yer 8274..... i did the same thing to my grill to get er in there...

comin out to play in alberta any time soon? hehehehe

well i think a few guys here are starting to talk about a september long weekend trip to waiparious...so ya maybe in alberta this summer...got a buddy in calgary to visit too...ya the 8274 fit in the grill nice i must say...

so what closeup of the front springs do you want? of the springs and thickness or wha?

hazardiz said:
so what closeup of the front springs do you want? of the springs and thickness or wha?
Yeah, maybe at the perch. I just want to see how tall the pack is. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whats your email...easier that way...

Back