Haze on windshield | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Haze on windshield

Recently purchased a 2013 Explorer XLT. I had the car washed a few days after purchase and then noticed this film/haze on the windshield which was not present when I bought the truck. In hindsight, I wanted to dry off the windshield upon getting back to the house and just grabbed the nearest towel to do so. That towel was one I have used in the past to wipe off gas and oil from our portable generator. So I think this may be some sort of oil or gas stain on the windshield. I have tried using dish soap, Goo Gone, and a couple other suggestions I have seen online, but nothing has worked to date. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of how to remove this from the windshield? Thanks.

IMG_3433.JPEG
IMG_3431.JPEG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Windex and newspaper?

Good luck.

Simple Green undiluted?
Rubbing alcohol?

Glass is easy to clean, but if it also got onto the other surfaces, those are harder to clean(they are more porous).

If it really isn't coming off with typical cleaners, use some brake cleaner, sprayed onto a clean rag, and wipe the glass only. If that cuts it fast, you can get it off in under a minute, and then clean with typical glass cleaners. If it doesn't, then you work your way to other products, and last being a razor blade with glass cleaner for lubrication.

The material is likely also on the windshield wipers, that's another surface hard to clean. Brake cleaner or a similar tough product may not hurt the rubber, but that's more iffy than cleaning glass or painted objects etc. Depending on what it is, replacing the wipers might be best.

You could use a brand new razor blade for some things on glass, but that has a slight risk too based on how good the razor is. A bad razor will scratch the glass. So start with cleaning products, try those before the worst case stuff.

That's hard water spots on the hood. Probably on the glass as well. Very difficult to remove once on there. Paint shops have cleaners that can help get rid of them but if it sits out in the sun too long, you may never get them out

I have had good luck with Invisible Glass cleaner.

Back