HD (High Definition) Radio | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

HD (High Definition) Radio

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

I have been thinking of getting new stereo AM/FM/CD for my 1999 Mounty.
My last shopping spree for a new stereo system was 5 years ago and things have changed quite a bit over the years.
I was thinking of purchasing a new AM-FM stereo/cd player that is capable of receiving HD (High Definition) broadcast. I have been doing some research and learned that
HD broadcast is very close to CD quality.
If you have a HD Radio could you tell me if it is worth getting. Is there a noticable change from analog FM to HD Radio?
Any information will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

briwayjones

Manual Master
Reaction score
City, State
Eldersburg, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

I have been thinking of getting new stereo AM/FM/CD for my 1999 Mounty.
My last shopping spree for a new stereo system was 5 years ago and things have changed quite a bit over the years.
I was thinking of purchasing a new AM-FM stereo/cd player that is capable of receiving HD (High Definition) broadcast. I have been doing some research and learned that
HD broadcast is very close to CD quality.
If you have a HD Radio could you tell me if it is worth getting. Is there a noticable change from analog FM to HD Radio?
Any information will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Rick

The HD in HD radio actually does not stand for High Definition. HD radio in a lot of cases is not close to CD quality and is actually a lower bitrate than standard radio due to having to share bandwidth among multiple channels. It just seems to be better quality sometimes because of the lack of static. I tend to notice the lower quality on the higher frequency end on songs, like listening to a low quality MP3. I would get a HD radio from the standpoint that you get more stations(once most stations switch to HD, the HD stations often broadcast more than one channel), the industry is switching to HD, more and more stations will support it and because they are not really that much more expensive than a regular radio.

Things about HD radio to know. HD radio requires a stronger signal than regular radio. So if you live farther away from the broadcast source or live or drive where there are a lot of trees, or valleys you drive through or it's hilly like where I live it will tend to flip from HD radio back to regular radio a lot and possibly not make it worth it.

But as I said I would get one from the stand point of that's where the industry is going, and they are not really that much more expensive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

toypaseo

Flunked daycare
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
outside shovelling snow
Year, Model & Trim Level
................ 96 XLT ™
Here is a cheap way for HD radio...

http://www.buy.com/prod/jvc-hd-radi...-yourself-car-kit-kt/q/loc/111/211411586.html

$34.99 after rebate, free shipping, and save $10 if you pay with PayPal.

For only $25, I am tempted to get one... :dunno:
211411586.jpg

Props to Slickdeals

fixxxer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
I have a JVC HD radio (HD=Hybrid Digital) and I love it. The difference between standard FM and HD FM is very noticible, especially on the more powerful stations, you get a cleaner sound with better bass and mids. I've had this one for over 2 years now and I'm sure the new ones probably have more features, especially the integration with iPods and usb ports.

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I wanted it so bad when it came out. I finally bought a new sony headunit from crutchfield and they were selling the 100$ hd tuner for it, for only 10$ if you bought the headunit, so i grabbed it, hooked it up, and honestly was not at all satisfied. it was only 10$ so it wasnt a big deal, but if I would have paid 100$ it would have gone back..

I think its my area, or maybe its that thick rubber surrounding on the 1st gens antennas...

Idk but i did notice less static, and a bit better sound quality, NOTHING compared to a cd like they were saying though. I liked it because it showed the song names on the screen too from the stations. It took forever to pick up the alt. channels for some certain stations unless i was halfway across town, but even still it would literally play then stop then play then stop from not having a good enough signal.

If you live in a city id say go for it, but good luck if your out on farmland. im not even close to any farms though, i live right next to the damn city lol

Millertime1987

Reaction score
City, State
New Richmond
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Limited 4X4
I got a JVC 2 years ago along with an attachment for my ipod and love it. Alot of channels do go in and out of HD to standard while i am driving but since they got rid of the 3 second delay between them you just notice a bit more static on the channels other wise its great. I got my from Crutchfield and will for sure buy my next head unit from them when the time comes.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
I would go with the external JVC HD tuner ($35, nice find) or something similar over a HD receiver for now. There's a lot of competing radio technologies, not just in the USA but over in Europe and other countries, too. They may all still coexist for quite awhile, but if the industry ever adopts one standard or even just a few, people who bought the hardware that uses the other technology are going to be stuck with very expensive paperweights.

As for quality...it depends on your system, your antenna, your location, among other things. If you listen to the radio a LOT, and live in a big urban area where HD radio is prevalent, it could be worth it. If theres only a few radio stations around, or you're not around a big city, something like HD radio is pretty pointless.

Best bet is to look up your local radio stations online for info on whether they broadcast (or plan to soon) in HD-quality, or give them a call.

Also, check the specs on what type of tuner your Alpine has. Some quality high-end radios had high-definition PLL tuners. Of course, the limited frequency range keeps it from being CD-quality, but they are still rather impressive when compared to a cheaper type of tuner.

fixxxer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
Traveling from the Denver area to the Portland, Oregon area, I've had the opportunity to listen to alot of different radio stations (as well as my mp3's). I also have some connections still at a couple of FM radio stations (I used to be a DJ and assistant station engineer). What I have been told (and what I've heard), most fm radio stations these days, especially the larger ones that have automated to computer-run stations, play mp3's instead of real LP's or CD's and we all know that by default, ipods and ripping software usually are set as default between 128 kps and 256 kps as the standard setting for ripping and playback, most of them, more on the low side, as they can fit more music on the computer hard-drive. Personally, I never rip an mp3 at anything less than 192-320 VBR and I can definately tell the difference between a song ripped at 192kps and 320 kps. Also, the HD channels run on their own digital transmitters and they are usually 1/2 the transmit power of the analog signal from the same station.

Anime

EF YEAH!!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 EX Sport Concept
That makes me even happier I went with an analog tuner receiver that plays MP3's.

fixxxer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 XLT 4X4
This is a really good website for HD radio references and has a great HD radio station guide.
http://www.hdradio.com/