Head Gasket blown | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head Gasket blown

This is taken straight from Mitchell Manual...

First Step - Tighten to 44 ft lbs.
Step Two - Tighten to 59 ft lbs.
Step Three - Tighten each bolt an additonal 80-85 degree turn (Full 90 degrees is fine)

Tightening Sequence is shown below...

HeadBoltTighteningSequence.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could I replace the piston caps or would I have to rebuild the whole thing?

Honestly if your going to try to replace the piston you'll need to pull off the oil pan remove the crankshaft and remove the piston that from the connecting rod (the pistons will only come out from the bottom, in case you didn't know, not trying to be a smartass). You'll also have to pray that the cylinder wall is ok otherwise you'll have to get that fixed at a machine shop, unless you can successfully hone that cylinder yourself. It can be done bu IMHO if your going to do that you'll want to replace the crank and rod bearings at the very least. You'd probably wanna change the all the pistons and have the black machined to make sure all is good at this point. And while your at it have the heads machined also. Basically you just rebuilt the whole motor and it wont be as cheap as getting a used one. Plus a used one will be a lot quicker of a process.

I'm sure I didn't cover everything but this should give you a good idea of what would be ahead.

Hope this helps!!

Keith

Thank you for the reply. I found an engine online for about $700. If I can get the cash together I'll do that but in the mean time I'm just going to try to sell the car.

Again thanks everyone who posted in this thread. You guys were a huge help unfortunately the problem was much worse then what I originally thought.

Nice picture for demonstrating what pre-detonation can do to an engine.

You can even see the stress marks from the fatal shock wave.

goodnews_zps95583298.jpg

Back