• Register Today It's free!

Head gasket.

squirrelu

Reaction score
City, State
southington ct.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997xlt 4.0 sohc 4wd
so the head gasket has blown out on my 94ex she has 198000 miles on her. so its not bad right now but it well be.p/u new gaskets to do the job new water pump while Iam in there new thermostat new hoses.new plugs and wires. what iam look to do is get rid of the a/c compressor it don't work and i don't use it and it in the way. I saw a thread that someone did and got rid of the a/c comp. look in the search but came up empty. I kown I can leave it on but u kown its got to go so send me some info on it. tx. squirrel. ps no pic. of truck well get some for u guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just make sure your AC is drained, get a disconnect tool, and pull everything out.... not much to it. Disconnect tool gets pressed in between the fittings and spreads the little springs inside of them apart so you can pull the fittings apart. The rest of it is nuts and bolts.

just make sure your AC is drained, get a disconnect tool, and pull everything out.... not much to it. Disconnect tool gets pressed in between the fittings and spreads the little springs inside of them apart so you can pull the fittings apart. The rest of it is nuts and bolts.

Hi there mate, Last week i did car check up. I found my head gasket set were blown. I'll give a shot to your advice in here. I'll update you on the status. Hopefully this one will work perfectly.

Hi there mate, Last week i did car check up. I found my head gasket set were blown. I'll give a shot to your advice in here. I'll update you on the status. Hopefully this one will work perfectly.

You don't need to remove the Air conditioning to change head gaskets. I was just answering the original posters question about whether he could remove his AC permanently without making any changes other than pulling it out and putting a different belt in.

If you are trying to figure out how to change head gaskets, I recently made a thread about removing everything down to the Lower intake manifold and rockers. If you want, you can follow that thread to get you down to that point.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307425

After you get to that point, you can unbolt the AC compressor to move it out of the way a little bit, but you don't have to remove it. You unbolt the exhaust manifolds and unbolt the heads. Pretty easy.

Back