Head interchange info. needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Head interchange info. needed

jayman

Reaction score
City, State
wheat ridge co.
Year, Model & Trim Level
My daughters '95 4.0 has a cracked head. Can anyone tell me what years of heads were the same?( Drivers side if it matters.)

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For openers, 2 different 4.0L engines were then in use: one an OverHead Valve (OHV) and the other an OverHead Camshaft (OHC) design. Obviously, before anything else one must know which engine is present. imp

in 95 there is only one 4.0 Its the OHV any 1995 threw 1997 are the same Left or Right are the same.

in 95 there is only one 4.0 Its the OHV any 1995 threw 1997 are the same Left or Right are the same.

Thank you very much.

Now... Anyone in the Denver area have a good one??

I would recommend having the valves grind while you have it off or replaced
if you can afford it have both sides done. i just had both mine done. the head gasket set by its self was 169.00, with new head bolts, new exhaust manifold bolts, new oil, antifreeze. install my self total cost right at 640.00. runs good.
I had found another head at local salvage yard, 75.00.
FYI both heads will fit either side, left or right. Just make sure the casting numbers on the old head match the old one.
good luck.

I've seen a few people buy heads from Alabama Cylinder head.

I just looked and they charge $150 for bare heads and $205 for heads with springs and valves (looks to be ready to install).

I have yet to see anyone find a good used head from a yard. I even had 2 bad "rebuilt" heads from Bills Cylinder Head exchange in Phoenix, Az. I won't ever buy from them again...

~Mark

Some times you get lucky, I think I did. If I was going to buy from a place that does a lot of them I guess I would talk with others that have bought from them before. but its really all what your wallet can afford. LOL

Hey bud, I just replaced the heads on my '00 ranger with the 4.0 ohv, got the heads from Alabama Cylinder head for 205 a piece complete, total cost was as mentioned above about 650 by myself including heads, new head bolts which are a must! gaskets oil, antifreeze, silicone, etc. The heads were a part of the 98tm castings, your motor should utilize the 95tm castings, in 98 ford change the exhaust port size to a smaller one to light the cats of sooner for emissions reasons and I think the bowl was redesigned as well. a 95 motor will not go well wiht 98tm castings. Make sure you get 95tm castings which cover from 95 to 97.

From TRS website,

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/40rebuild.htm

this should help you

1990-’94 All and ‘95-’96 Aerostar
The original 90TM casting had an oval-shaped chamber that was slightly bigger in diameter on the intake side. It was replaced in ’93 by the 93TM-AA casting that was exactly the same. These heads can be identified by the letter "T" located on the top of the right rear/left front exhaust port.

1995-’97 Ranger, Explorer and ’97 Aerostar
The 95TM-AD casting that came out in ’95 had the heart-shaped, fast-burn chambers that shrouded the intake valves. It was replaced by the 97TM casting in ’97, but it was the same, so they can be used interchangeably. These castings were used on the Ranger and Explorer from ’95 through ’97 and on the Aerostar in ’97. They can be identified by the letter "U" that’s located on the top of the right rear/left front exhaust port.

1998-2000
Ford introduced another new head in ’98. The exhaust ports on the 98TM-AD were much narrower than they were on the earlier castings; they measured 1.40˝ across the port compared to 1.70˝ on the 95TM/97TM castings. According to the engineers I have talked to, the smaller ports increased the velocity of the exhaust gasses so they carried more heat down to the catalytic converter. This helped the converter “light off" sooner, so it did a better job of reducing emissions during the critical start-up and driveaway phase of the EPA emissions test. With that in mind, it’s probably not a good idea to swap these heads back and forth with any of the earlier castings.:salute:

I replaced OHV heads from J & C...

I bought new heads from J&C cylinder heads and they offer both new not rebuilt heads for $235.00 and both new heads, a new set of head bolts, and a head gasket set for $95.00 more... And shipping is free and you don't need to return the old heads... I am using these heads on my new shortblock and I can tell you that the quality of these heads is great!!!

The work is half done if you have the heads off already and the reinstallation is not too bad...Good luck to ya!!!

Check the links below...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

UPDATE: The price should be $325.00, not $235.00...Thanks JoeDoe...

looks like they are 325.00 not 235.00

My daughters '95 4.0 has a cracked head. Can anyone tell me what years of heads were the same?( Drivers side if it matters.)

Thank you.
make sure the holes for the chain tensioner is on the intake side of the head for the left head on the exhaust side for
the right side head

Odds are that he figured it out seeing as it was 11 years ago. ;)

Back