• Register Today It's free!

Head Light Question

jo15765

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 & 2006
I have recently started having to drive again hen it is dark, and on my 1996 explorer the headlights casing/housing (sorry if I am using wrong terminology here) is more yellow than white. I have tried to use sand/soapy water to scrub it off, have tried the liquid blue stuff that is supposed to restore your headlights to factory quality and nothing is working! I even bought the $60 dollar high res bulb to use but my lights are far to dim, even my brights are dimmer than the dims on other vehicles.

Question being is there a home remedy I can do to fix this or would purchasing a new headlight assembly give me brighter lights? (Not promoting any sites, this was the 1st returned result from google) For example, these appear blue and not white, would that benefit me at all? The headlight assembly that is on my vehicle is the original assembly from the factory in 1996. http://www.autolightsbulbs.com/1995-2001-Ford-Explorer-Headlight-Assembly/K1104226.aspx

Also, not sure if this plays any toll at all, but both the battery and alternator have been replaced in the past 6 months so I do not feel (if they would) they have any effect on the dim-ness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It seems like your headlight housings are beyond repair, and you would probably be better off buying new ones. A set for both passenger and driver side is only $57 on Amazon.com right now.

Passenger's side - http://www.amazon.com/EXPLORER-HEADLIGHT-PASSENGER-20-3100-00-F5TZ13008A/dp/B000E4KK66

Driver's side - http://www.amazon.com/EXPLORER-HEADLIGHT-DRIVER-20-3101-00-F5TZ13008B/dp/B000E4GERK/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1A90JWGK28337KW6R1Y4

If you do end up buying new housings, make sure you take care of them to keep them from fogging up again. All I have ever done is wax them every now and then, and have had no issues with my original parts from 1998.

Depending on where you live, and if you plan on doing lots of night driving, a set of auxiliary lights might also be helpful. I'm in rural Montana and pretty much had to get some extra lights up front so I could see in front of me in the dark. Stock headlights alone (even in good condition) are not great on these vehicles, especially when compared to lights on newer vehicles.

I am in the country in NE Georgia, and leave my house at 6 a.m. Monday - Friday. I will def invest in a new one for both, thank you for the link!

My vehicle has the (I think this is what they are) the fog lights up front, there is a secondary "bumper" with two lights on each side in it and a button you press from the interior to activate them. Both worked up until last week when I hit a deer and (thankfully minor damage) just cracked the "second bumper" as I call it, and totally shattered the secondary light on the bottom, and the assembly that houses the turn signal/bright lights popped out (the plastic pieces being screwed to the frame under the hood cracked), but nothing that some duct tape can't hold in for the moment. Other than a pretty good sized dent in the passenger side above the wheel well, but I am assuming I can just hammer that out from the inside.

What auxiliary lights would you recommend and how/where would I install them?

I have Hella 500FF's as my aux lights. KC also makes a really nice light for the price, and the wiring seems to be better than what came with my Hellas. So go with what your budget will allow, and go with the driving beam pattern as opposed to the fog beam pattern. Driving lights will throw much more light down the road, while fogs are designed to light up all around the front, but not very far. You can also try and do some inexpensive LEDs, but you get what you pay for sometimes. And in my opinion, LEDs don't quite match the rest of the truck's style.

As far as wiring goes, there are a few ways to go about hooking up aux lights. Personally, I have the relay tapped into my highbeam wire that goes into the regular headlight. That way, the aux lights can only be turned on if both the highbeams, and aux light switches are on (I don't have to worry about hitting the off button for the aux lights every time a car approaches). Most lights come with a whole wiring harness, on/off switch, and relay needed to get it all hooked up. There are tons of videos and guides on how to wire the lights properly, and will be able to do a better job at explaining it than I can. And following the directions included with the lights is never a bad idea either.

This thread was very helpful for me:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113584

I replaced my stock rectangular fog lights with KC HiLiTES 775's and couldn't be more pleased. My old stock ones had all of the reflective backing in the housing chipped away (just a light bulb sitting in a black housing with pitted/foggy lenses). They bolt right into the bracket that holds the stock fogs. I just cut the old fog light connector plug (and threw the light assembly and plug away) and cut the KC plug off the harness. Then I attached the KC plug to the factory fog wires (only 2 per side). They operate the same as the stock fog lights did (with the button next to the radio), and I can actually see a difference when I turn them on.

This is an issue every explorer owner deals with at one time or another. You have to decide what your willing to invest in lighting upgrades. I'm a cheap azz. I restored my lenses on my own and clearcoated them. Them I added some $30 AutoZone 55w driving lights. Those along with some good bulbs for the headlights and I've got about as good light output that can be had on our Xs.

IMG_20160310_201442.jpg

IMG_20160406_150322-1.jpg

I just replaced my headlamp assemblies today. It was relatively easy:

The good: I was able to remove the old adjusters and install them on the new assembly, which should mean I won't have to readjust anything.

The bad: The ears on every connector are going to break, period. Also the plastic on the turn signal lamp screw attachment points. Also the plastic on the turn signal locating pins. Actually, pretty much everything plastic that can break has about a 50-75% chance of doing so.

Took me about 1.5 hrs from start to finish.

[MENTION=289077]Glacier Explorer[/MENTION] the KC HiLiTES 775's that I found on Amazon are about $80 and I do have the rectangular lights that you mentioned

[MENTION=205021]jimmyn[/MENTION]utz I like the idea of adding in some $30 AutoZone 55W driving lights and still keeping the fog lights. How easy is the install for this?

Here is an image of what the front of my vehicle looks like if it affects how/what approach I should take. Also, (kinda hard to see in the image) the left side of the fog light bumper is cracked and hanging a 'lil bit from the darn deer

5e01phjuz

http://postimg.org/image/5e01phjuz/

I am posting the URL as it did not like me trying to add the pic for some reason, probably user error.

The bad: The ears on every connector are going to break, period. Also the plastic on the turn signal lamp screw attachment points. Also the plastic on the turn signal locating pins. Actually, pretty much everything plastic that can break has about a 50-75% chance of doing so.

I know the feeling the plastic on my turn signal pins holding them to the vehicle are broken. I removed the screws that were bolting the broken plastic down since it is no longer connected to the actual assembly and pushed the assembly as close to the vehicle as I could and used some good 'ole fashion duct tape. It is holding for the moment (2 days) but we will see if I end up having to purchase a brand new assembly.

I know the feeling the plastic on my turn signal pins holding them to the vehicle are broken. I removed the screws that were bolting the broken plastic down since it is no longer connected to the actual assembly and pushed the assembly as close to the vehicle as I could and used some good 'ole fashion duct tape. It is holding for the moment (2 days) but we will see if I end up having to purchase a brand new assembly.

Ya, I have one pin and two screws holding the driver's side and two pins and one screw holding the passenger. The thing that burns me is that I didn't check the price of the turn signal light assemblies in the first place: they're only $12 each, so I should have just ordered them and replaced everything at once! :mad:

IMAG1165_zpshsj4hf7u.jpg

New fog light on the left, old stock light on the right.

Low beams only

High beams only

IMAG0571_zpsb8sc4q9j.jpg

High beams and 500FFs

These aren't the greatest pics in the world, but you get the general idea of the light output over stock. And the picture with the Hellas on was before I properly aimed them (just installed and it was cold, windy, and rainy), they are better now.

[MENTION=289077]Glacier Explorer[/MENTION] - yes that is 1,000 times better than my set-up! I am def going to order the new headlight assembly for both Left and Right - and will either replace fog lights or add additional lights. But now thinking about it, if I add driving lights as opposed to replacing the fog lights, would I then have to add in an additional toggle to turn on/off the driving lights that I added?

[MENTION=289077]Glacier Explorer[/MENTION] - yes that is 1,000 times better than my set-up! I am def going to order the new headlight assembly for both Left and Right - and will either replace fog lights or add additional lights. But now thinking about it, if I add driving lights as opposed to replacing the fog lights, would I then have to add in an additional toggle to turn on/off the driving lights that I added?

It depends on how you wire them. If you tap into the parking lights with one of the wires that go into the new relay, then yes. You would have the option to turn them on or off whenever your parking lights are on, but you'd have to flip the switch each time you want them on or off. I tapped into the high beam wire, so I can leave them "on" at all times, but they will only turn on if the high beams are on as well.

Aux switch OFF, High beams OFF- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch OFF, High beams ON- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch ON, High beams OFF- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch ON, High beams ON- Aux lights ON

This saves me from having to flip off 2 sets of lights (highs and Hellas) for other traffic. Any time that I would need the Hellas, My high beams would be on too anyways.

It depends on how you wire them. If you tap into the parking lights with one of the wires that go into the new relay, then yes. You would have the option to turn them on or off whenever your parking lights are on, but you'd have to flip the switch each time you want them on or off. I tapped into the high beam wire, so I can leave them "on" at all times, but they will only turn on if the high beams are on as well.

Aux switch OFF, High beams OFF- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch OFF, High beams ON- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch ON, High beams OFF- Aux lights OFF
Aux switch ON, High beams ON- Aux lights ON

This saves me from having to flip off 2 sets of lights (highs and Hellas) for other traffic. Any time that I would need the Hellas, My high beams would be on too anyways.

Would these Hellas work in rellacing my rectangular fog lights? Also, since my second bumper is cracked should I just remove it so the light is not blocked from these helas? (May not be affected, honestly not sure)

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/hla-005700301?seid=srese1&gclid=CKeiz_GZk8wCFVclgQodOx4Lxg

The link you posted is for just 1 light, no harness or anything else. A pair of those lights with the harness run about $90. They are 4.69 inches high x 7.69 inches wide x 3.25 inches deep, and that is a little bigger than the stock fogs. I'm not sure of the bracket dimensions, but it would definitely be a tight squeeze. As far as plastic fender removal goes, you can always install lights, then see if the bumper is obstructing the beam. If it is, take it off. If not, leave it alone and save yourself the trouble.

The link you posted is for just 1 light, no harness or anything else. A pair of those lights with the harness run about $90. They are 4.69 inches high x 7.69 inches wide x 3.25 inches deep, and that is a little bigger than the stock fogs. I'm not sure of the bracket dimensions, but it would definitely be a tight squeeze. As far as plastic fender removal goes, you can always install lights, then see if the bumper is obstructing the beam. If it is, take it off. If not, leave it alone and save yourself the trouble.

Any specific ones you would recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And the link is just for one light, correct?

Just so I can order what I need :)

Back