• Register Today It's free!

Head swap/pushrod questions

Aussie Canuck

Reaction score
City, State
B.C.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer XLT
What I'm facing here... I have a 94 Ex. 5 speed with a cracked right head. I have a 92 Ex. 5 speed for parts with under 200 K. i also have a 92 Ex auto with 260 K. I don't really want to buy brand new heads, I've heard stories about putting new heads on older engines. So I'm thinking about taking the heads off the 92 and putting them on the 94. I am taking the heads to get shaved down to ensure a good fit, but here are some things I don't know.

1. Which rocker arms should I use? Both sets appear to be good. Do I take the 92 rocker arms with the heads and put them on the 94? Or should I only take the heads, and re-use the 94 rocker arms?

2. Which pushrods should I use? Keep the 94 pushrods? Use the 92 pushrods? I know it says make sure they go back in the same locations, but what if I use the 92 rocker arms?

3. Apparently 91-92 are bad for heads, 93-94 are better, but my 93 has 260 K. Would those heads be better than the 92 with 190 K?

Any and all input will be taken into consideration and greatly appreciated. I will keep you updated on how things work out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Buy new heads.don't know what you have heard about putting new heads on a old block.taking heads on and off can cause them to crack, you would be wasting your time putting worse heads on a motor.rockers and pushrods don't matter, they are all the same.I would replace them also.

Can re-use rocker arms if they're not worn, same for pushrods, but go with new aftermarket heads. Never remanufactured. Good for life if you go aftermarket.

I installed new aftermarket heads onto my old block at 145k miles in response to a cracked stock head. No problems since and I'm at 180k miles. Can't see why head replacement would negatively affect compression unless block was warped, old head bolts were used, bad head gasket or something like that.

JD, Chris (Wood1) and I both lost bottom end compression on ours after new head swap onto old block. Although, his went further than mine before his lower end went.

This is probably what the OP is referring to.

I did a full rebuild and never lost anything. Cant remember what wood1 problem was and I still think your problem is a bad head, if not you had problem with the bottom end before you put the heads on.not related to putting new heads on a good used block

Thanks to all of you for your input. Im still looking for a little more clarification on the pushrods. Haynes says to be very specific about removing and re-installing them. Both sets of pushrods are fine, but which set should I use? Should I use the originals that are matched to the existing block or should I use the ones matched to the heads that I will be putting on?

I'd just use the best ones. They should all measure out the same so use the ones closest to stock measurements, and avoid any that are bent. Check their contacting points for damage (lifter, rocker arm pocket).

Back