• Register Today It's free!

head unit for a 94 eddie bauer

littleharv93

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 f150 xlt
hi i have a 94 eddie bauer explorer and the stock radio went out so i bought a new head unit and the wiring harness that i bought wont work so

ford parts guy and abc warehouse both say i have to custom make one

what should i do

any body got any ideas or a walk through of how to splice them togeather

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which stock radio did yours have?

The regular radios/tape decks use one harness, the "premium" tape decks (that have "DNR" on the tape door), CD players, and the JBL systems with subwoofer use a different harness.

Get the right harness and it's easy. Walmart carries both, one for the regular radios, and one with the plugs for the premium systems. Check out what the plugs look like behind the radio and you can tell what harness you need for sure, or just go and get the other harness if the one you have isn't the correct one.

I wouldn't do any "custom" wiring involving cutting the stock wires to install a radio.

The part numbers by Scosche you are looking for are:
FDK106 for the Premium Sound System
FD021 for the Regular Sound System

But remember that you have to hook up the remote wire (blue wire) from the harness to the factory harness to activate the stock amplifier or there won't be any sound in your truck..

PS. I've done Car Audio, Remote Starters and Alarm System installs for years and it "drives" me nuts when someone cuts the factory harness off...

I would reccomend BYPASSING the stock amp, get on Crutchfield.com, type in your explorers info ("Add" it into your vehicles) and it will give you the right harness.

The stock amp gives a lot of static, interference etc.

I would reccomend BYPASSING the stock amp, get on Crutchfield.com, type in your explorers info ("Add" it into your vehicles) and it will give you the right harness.

The stock amp gives a lot of static, interference etc.

I haven't had any probs with my stock Amp in my 97 Ex, but I would agree that it would be better to bypass it and run them off the deck or better yet, run an aftermarket amp for the fronts and rears...

crutchfield is the way to go...the amp bridge cable is a bit of a project to install but it's definitely worth it...just my 2 cents

i agree. crutchfield is the way to go. way easier than goin in with a 12v tester and poking wires. done it many times and got the harness for my buddys jeep and will never go back!

getting to the factory amp is a good time too... :fart:

Back