• Register Today It's free!

Head unit recommendation

STUMPOFWAR

Reaction score
City, State
Fairless Hills, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Mountaineer.....looking to 'upgrade' my head unit on the cheap.....

I'm not looking for anything other then a front aux input (iPod) and for it to be compatible with the rear DVD player (which is unfortunately broken ATM). I really don't care if it's a changer like the original.

When I went to an unnamed retail store they kept trying to push an expensive unit on me... Any recommendations for a newbie?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depending on how your DVD player is wired into your existing radio, you may be able to splice the audio outputs from it into one 3.5mm standard stereo jack to plug into a standard AUX input on an inexpensive unit.

Thanks....a few people have told me Alpine....

on the wiring....I have a completely stock 2003 Mountaineer Premier.....if that means anything.

You could probably call up your local Ford/Mercury/Lincoln dealer and ask to see a copy of the wiring schematic for the DVD player to see how those wires come in. My guess is it's just a standard 2-wire setup, and with a soldering iron and a little electrical know-how, you can make a jack to plug into your new HU of choice.

Alpine or Pioneer. My next HU will not have a cd drive. It will be a media receiver. I want front USP ports & a slot for micro sd cards.

Back