• Register Today It's free!

Head Unit skipping from subwoofer

LBoy

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer AWD
I've actually never had this problem before in any of my other vehicles.
I have an Alpine 7998 CD head unit and it skips quite a bit with bass-heavy music. I've used two dash install kits and even swapped in the Eclipse from my Mustang and that unit skips as well when in the Xplorer,but it never has in the Stang,so it leads me to believe the Explorer's dash area is just shaking too much.
I've tried to dampen the install kit and behind it a bit but it did not help.
We're not talking 130db or anything. Even with very moderate levels it skips.

Anyone have this problem or know of a fix?

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This may sound like a very silly question, but have you tried cleaning the laser??

Fhantazm said:
This may sound like a very silly question, but have you tried cleaning the laser??

Well,one unit(Eclipse) I yanked out of my Mustang where it performs perfectly,and the Alpine is literally brand new....so I don't think its a dirt issue.
But thank you for the reply.

LBoy said:
Well,one unit(Eclipse) I yanked out of my Mustang where it performs perfectly,and the Alpine is literally brand new....so I don't think its a dirt issue.
But thank you for the reply.
'

Is the deck ratttling at all? Short of you hitting in the mid 150's on the new meter, you shouldn't be havving any kind of skipping probs on a new deck.

I am starting to have a skipping problem with my newer Alpine deck as well. I am going to pull the dash apart and try some ways dampen the vibrations. Mine skips on bumps, and when the truck rattles on rough roads. I don't think I have a problem with bass, as i only have a single sub.

Yeah,the deck does vibrate a bit,but not any more than in any other system I have put together.
Funny part is,I have never heard the Alpine deck skip from hitting a bump or pothole. its all together odd. I've never had to deal with this problem in the past 12 or so years of installing. My Mustang hits just as hard and never skips from bass.......even with 2 12" L7's getting 1000rms........

I'm going to try to isolate the deck better tomorrow.
Just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Again,thanks for the help.

LBoy said:
Yeah,the deck does vibrate a bit,but not any more than in any other system I have put together.
Funny part is,I have never heard the Alpine deck skip from hitting a bump or pothole. its all together odd. I've never had to deal with this problem in the past 12 or so years of installing. My Mustang hits just as hard and never skips from bass.......even with 2 12" L7's getting 1000rms........

I'm going to try to isolate the deck better tomorrow.
Just wondered if anyone else had this problem.

Again,thanks for the help.

u shouldnt be having any skipping..i have a bit more beat ALOT closser to my dash and i rarely have any skipping..even when slamming over speed bumps

Back