Headache!! Civilian center console install on PIU | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headache!! Civilian center console install on PIU

Just to clarify the terminology, these are 12V power outlets, not cigar or cigarette lighter outlets. :D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to clarify the terminology, these are 12V power outlets, not cigar or cigarette lighter outlets. :D

Peter
It's kinda what us old farts called it back in the days!.
BTW
I downloaded the programs that was on the OBD plug's information card and inadvertently did NOT download FORScan but software called TouchScan & OBDWiz. Now that I have the correct software things I am reading make sense! Yegadz! Getting old sure isn't easy! I'm sure greatful for you people putting up with me!
1650175176315.png

Thx Denis for reply ;)

I was able to mount the console.
(It is a pity that guy nolaDre, who had a headache did not speak up and did not help (as befits the forum; (

I know how to connect the cigarette lighter socket next to the aux socket, but there are two more. Second in the armrest and third in the rear A / C panel.
I know they are connected with a wire inside the console.

Question: what kind of connector should I have coming out of the car to connect the rest of the cigarette lighter sockets?
Sorry for the late response. The only plugs I was able to use were the 2 small gray/red for the power points. The others are for features that I don't have, such as rear a/c. Did the center console come with donor wires? I used the donor wires that were for the power point as an extension to make the longer of the 2 gray/red plugs up front to reach the power point at the rear of the console. I didn't even worry about mounting to the base, but mine looks like yours. It's secure enough once latched into the front.

Some items need to be enabled in more than one spot. Have you looked in the BCM?
Yes, I did. I'll try again and take pictures of what/where I changed and what it says afterwards. Also, do you know if there is a code for the rear windows? At time of purchase my LR window was sketchy with up/down. Most of the time it goes down somewhat easily but will only go up after a long delay. The RR window does not function at all. I did locate and connect the connectors located at the bottom of the B pillar. Funny because I thought that was for LR window but it was working before that was connected. There is no sound coming from the RR window. Haven't checked to see if it's getting power yet. I had pulled the panel to make sure everything was connected but put it back together since I have a long drive tomorrow. Just curious if it could be something simple in Forscan.

Yes, I did. I'll try again and take pictures of what/where I changed and what it says afterwards. Also, do you know if there is a code for the rear windows? At time of purchase my LR window was sketchy with up/down. Most of the time it goes down somewhat easily but will only go up after a long delay. The RR window does not function at all. I did locate and connect the connectors located at the bottom of the B pillar. Funny because I thought that was for LR window but it was working before that was connected. There is no sound coming from the RR window. Haven't checked to see if it's getting power yet. I had pulled the panel to make sure everything was connected but put it back together since I have a long drive tomorrow. Just curious if it could be something simple in Forscan.
Hi, sorry, but this is not the topic of our post.

I know how to connect the cigarette lighter socket next to the aux socket, but there are two more. Second in the armrest and third in the rear A / C panel.
I know they are connected with a wire inside the console.

Question: what kind of connector should I have coming out of the car to connect the rest of the cigarette lighter sockets?

Does anyone know the answer to the question:
How to connect the other two 12V power sockets (called cigarette lighter) in the front console?

Does anyone know the answer to the question:
How to connect the other two 12V power sockets (called cigarette lighter) in the front console?
Yes, as I stated use donor wires (if you have them). Underneath the radio there were 2 powerpoint connectors, right? 1 should be able to directly connect into the front powerpoint. With the second connector, I snipped the wires and added in some donor wires to create the length needed to reach the rear power point and used the connector. Both work.

One picture you are holding two small connectors.

Those are for the cigarette lighter also known as the power outlet. View attachment 428485

Yes, two are there for some reason.
Quick question. When looking at hte cigar lighter plugs which is the hot wire? I'm going to snip the plugs and add direct USB connectors there instead of using adapters.

I Know I can test them if necessary but I hope someone already knows :)

Thanks

Quick question. When looking at hte cigar lighter plugs which is the hot wire? I'm going to snip the plugs and add direct USB connectors there instead of using adapters.

I Know I can test them if necessary but I hope someone already knows :)

Thanks
Not sure of your question.
You want to put 12 VDC to a USB and destroy anything that is plugged into it?
USB takes 5 VDC along with the other wires going to different places.

Amazon product ASIN B01N6S2SNM
Bought this little fella. 12-24V input, 5v 2.1A out x 2.

It's no big I can test the wires to figure out what's what, I was just hoping to save myself a step.

Oh OK! It is already set up for you with a voltage drop.
Any time you have wires that go to the cigar lighter (cigarette/power point) the little contact on the bottom is positive (hot) and the outer shield is negative (ground) If you just have two wires then you will have to use a VOM (volt ohm meter). Once you have one and learn the basics you will find that you will be using it a lot! You can test any battery from hearing aid to vehicle, you can test incandescent bulbs to see if they work, you can test for shorts or broken circuits along with a bunch of other tests.

Oh OK! It is already set up for you with a voltage drop.
Any time you have wires that go to the cigar lighter (cigarette/power point) the little contact on the bottom is positive (hot) and the outer shield is negative (ground) If you just have two wires then you will have to use a VOM (volt ohm meter). Once you have one and learn the basics you will find that you will be using it a lot! You can test any battery from hearing aid to vehicle, you can test incandescent bulbs to see if they work, you can test for shorts or broken circuits along with a bunch of other tests.
Got 'er all hooked up. Only problem I see is that it has a blue ambient light that seems to stay on all the time. Hopefully it doesn't draw enough power to cause me any battery problems down the road.

Got 'er all hooked up. Only problem I see is that it has a blue ambient light that seems to stay on all the time. Hopefully it doesn't draw enough power to cause me any battery problems down the road.
You could leave that light on 24/7/365 and it STILL won't drain that battery! Trust me! It takes milliamps of draw.

2x bolts, throw bar and bolts away.
Never throw bolts away! Ya just never know when they will come in handy!
All my life I have torn thing apart before disposing of them and save all that I can and boy has that saved me a lot of money.

Hello, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer PIU it does not have a gearstick on the center console. Where can i get a civilian center console similar to this one that member SanSebek posted? Would they even work in my car? Thank you

Civilian Center Console Ford Explorer.jpeg

Good Luck

They are rarer than hen’s teeth.

That shift lever slot makes a great storage space.

Just zip tie the bottom of the leather.

Hello, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer PIU it does not have a gearstick on the center console. Where can i get a civilian center console similar to this one that member SanSebek posted? Would they even work in my car? Thank you
You can try Amazon or eBay. Auto recyclers may be another option. There is already a 'Wanted' post for the same thing in our For Sale forum.
Didn't see anything on Amazon. eBay was more promising having consoles for the PIU but they are not like the retail item. I did find this;

Peter

You can try Amazon or eBay. Auto recyclers may be another option. There is already a 'Wanted' post for the same thing in our For Sale forum.
Didn't see anything on Amazon. eBay was more promising having consoles for the PIU but they are not like the retail item. I did find this;

Peter
Hmm, that has way more parts than my current PIU center console. Also, it has a USB and AC vents for the back. The 2016 Ford Explorer PIU does not have any AC for the rear.

I do appreciate it though, Peter :) I will check out local junk yards. Thank you.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

ADDITIONALLY: Do you know if they make extensions for the power port harness? I have 2 up front but they are short. I would like have one for the back of the console. Or is it just easier to create new wiring for that?
Just cut and extend the wires. One will fit the console as is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's what I ended up doing, thanks. I never bolted the console down at all. The trim that runs along the footwell snapped into place and it's been sturdy ever since. Front & rear powerpoints work great and I used a powerpoint radio transmitter to play music via bluetooth. I'm satisfied for now

Back