header question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

header question

I was looking around for some headers for my 97 sohc & came upon some cheap ones in amazon. They are pace setters and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them and/or if they are any good?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Setter-70-117...omotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1997|1997&carId=004

They cost around $200 and that's by far the cheapest I've seen. The only other headers I've seen are jba and they were around $400 I believe, which is too expensive..anyone know of good headers that are around the $200 range?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Headers aren't needed on SOHC V6 equipped Explorers. The stock manifolds aren't very restrictive at all. Save your $$$. You won't see any gains.

Now if you had a V8 equipped 2nd gen, then we'd be talking. The stock manifolds on the 5.0 suck.

Thank you very much on the heads up. Now I can spend the money on something else :)

Headers aren't needed on SOHC V6 equipped Explorers. The stock manifolds aren't very restrictive at all. Save your $$$. You won't see any gains.

Now if you had a V8 equipped 2nd gen, then we'd be talking. The stock manifolds on the 5.0 suck.

That is not exactly true Celly. While the power gains at peak may not be much, there is some good power and torque to be had under the curve which is where it counts. I would suggest against dismissing the 4.0 SOHC headers based only on the peak numbers they gain.

That is not exactly true Celly. While the power gains at peak may not be much, there is some good power and torque to be had under the curve which is where it counts. I would suggest against dismissing the 4.0 SOHC headers based only on the peak numbers they gain.

I'm just basing my comments on what I've read on this site numerous times in the past (you're the first person I've seen come out in support of putting headers on this engine).

Doesn't impact me in the slightest because I'd never own a SOHC equipped Explorer again (I've had two). :D

I'm just basing my comments on what I've read on this site numerous times in the past (you're the first person I've seen come out in support of putting headers on this engine).

Doesn't impact me in the slightest because I'd never own a SOHC equipped Explorer again (I've had two). :D

That's funny....Come to think of it I own 2 SOHC Explorers too....Though one of those SOHC's is a 4.6 V8 which is just a bit different. ;)

You will find quite a bit of regurgitation of information being thrown around on car forums. Then couple that with people who don't take the time to fully understand how to read a dyno graph to glean the full extent of the information an you have a recipe for misunderstanding. That is not pointed at you, or anyone else in particular, but it does just happen to be the nature of the beast. Though I have not personally done any dyno testing on the 4.0 SOHC with headers I have seen the dyno graphs from other tests that show gains.

According to some dyno graphs I have seen there is a decent enough gain to be had with the shorty headers offered for the 4.0 SOHC by JBA and Gibson. While it is not anything large enough to turn the 4.0 SOHC Explorer into some sort of drag-racer I still feel they are worth it. Another thing to think about when determining if headers are worth it is what sort of gas mileage gains may be had. Now this I haven't found any real hard data on so they may gain you nothing or you might get 3 MPG for all I know. Hopefully the latter, but you won't find me holding my breath on it. Either way, I have a set of Gibson S.S. headers and exhaust sitting in the garage that will be making their way onto my little Explorer Sport in hopes of giving it a bit more MPG and power with a moderate sound improvement.

Another thing to consider is that when a company as large as JBA or Gibson do research and development on a project they won't bother going into full production producing jigs for a header unless it gains at least some power/torque at peak or under the curve. There are some much smaller and less established companies that may try to pull the wool over peoples eyes for long enough to make a small profit before moving on, but JBA and Gibson are obviously in it for the long haul.

your post

I look forward to your findings on the 4.0 SOHC headers, Rocket. I have been under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" so to speak when it comes to 4.0 SOHC headers, at least in a naturally aspirated application. Though you do make a really good point about why the manufacturers would even bother if the gains were negligible.

I look forward to your findings on the 4.0 SOHC headers, Rocket. I have been under the impression (perhaps mistaken) that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" so to speak when it comes to 4.0 SOHC headers, at least in a naturally aspirated application. Though you do make a really good point about why the manufacturers would even bother if the gains were negligible.

I hear ya on the juice/squeeze analogy. Worth is definitely something that is determined by each individual. Some people feel that spending $4,000 to gain 100+hp with a supercharger is worth the money while others don't. I suppose the same can be said with the headers for the 4.0 SOHC too. My personal goals have more to do with MPG and a little less to do with power gains at this point. So if these little fellas only gain me 5hp/5tq but net a 1 or 2 MPG gain then it is worth it to me considering what I traded for them.

How do you like your Gibson catback by the way?

sohc cast headers on ohv?

this may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if the sohc 4.0 cast headers will work on the 4.0 ohv cylinder heads? Im looking to do an exhaust on my soon to be top end built motor, but i want to retain some good back pressure. Also Im going to run a Borla muffler with no cats, any advice on what diameter pipe? I was thinking either 2.25" or 2.5" single, not duals.

Back