• Register Today It's free!

Header swap....95-96

cpegram

Reaction score
City, State
Mesquite, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Eddie Bauer
It is impossible to get a catalytic convertor for a 96 explorer 4.0....noone makes an aftermarket replacement and I'm not paying Ford $700 for one.
Everyone who sells performance cats cuts off at 95.
I have been thinking though....
You can buy headers for a 96 Ford explorer 4.0...and the supplier I found sold one that fits a 95-96.
I don't see how this is possible with the stock convertor because the flange on the 95 is different from the 96 as far as I have been able to determine.
But...if the 95 and 96 exhaust manifold both bolt up to the engine identically...then I should be able to buy manifolds off a wrecked 95 explorer...put them on my 96, and then use the 95 cats that are available.
If the pipe turns different at the back of the cat a muffler shop should be able to cut it off and make adjustments...or I could buy the whole 95 exhaust...

Opinions anyone?

Just go to an exhaust shop and have a "universal" high flow cat installed....they will just weld it in place instead of bolting...I think

Ya, just have a new one welded in. It will be a whole lot easier and cheaper, and the joint will last longer.

Back