• Register Today It's free!

Headers: Borla or cermaic coated?

SeanM

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT 4.0L OHV 4WD 4dr
ok...First of all, I wanna know exactly what ceramic coated means...I am assuming that it means a coating on the outside of the tube to reduce heat. However, I've also heard that it is a coating inside the headers to allow the air to flow smoother. Which of these(or maybe neither) is what a "ceramic coating" is? Now, after answering that question....Which is more effective...One with or without ceramic coating? I want to get Borlas, but I hear that JBA has a set of ceramic coated headers for my year Explorer too. I guess all I really want to know is which is better....Ceramic coated or something along the lines of Borla....Hit me back with some quality replies fellas/ladies. Thanks for helpin me out....

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires
PIAA 9007 Super-White Headlights(adds 40 rearwheel hp )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody know anything about this stuff? Come on....anything? I need some guidance....Anybody? Don't leave me hangin : (

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

Ceramic coating, properly done, is a coating on both sides of the header tube (inside and outside). The coating reduces the resistance of the tube on the air passing through it, and prevents the absorbtion of heat by the tubing.

A ceramic coated header will last longer, flow better, and reduce heat in the engine compartment. Ceramic coating is a good thing, if you can afford it.

Borla vx. JBA? I don't know - haven't researched that yet. Either can be coated, but JBA sells them already coated.

My JBA's are coated on both sides. They gave me a noticable power boost, although they reduced torque slightly on the very low end (below 1400rpm). I've noticed my engine bay is cooler than with the stock manifold, and the headers are really holding up well. I haven't had them for that long, but have been mudding twice and through a lot of rain and they still look perfect. If you can afford them, get the JBA's. Also, get the joint from the ypipe to the collecter welded instead of using the pipe clamp. This will prevent leaks.

I was orignally going to get the JBA's with the ceramic coating, but the cheapest I could find them was around $600.00. I waited and was able to get the Borlas for $230 and they are stainless steel - I could go ahead and throw them on, but I am definitely thinking about having the Jet Hot (ceramic) coated first. I you could forgo the extra expense, I say go for it.

You can get the Borlas coated by a local place for around $150. If you can get the Borlas that cheap, you can just get them coated yourself. You can always just put header tape on them instead.

Alec,

Why did you choose JBA (as opposed to any other brand)? You must think they are worth the extra money. It sounds like you are happy with them.

Also, how long did it take to install them?

Thanks,

Another option is BBK. You can get a set of ceramic coated BBK headers for about the same price as the non-coated JBA's.

I got the JBA's because in my mind there's no question about their quality. With every other brand, I've heard that the fit is questionable and that trimming and minor fabrication is necessary. Also, all the installers and shops in Austin swear by them, and many won't touch any other brand. They did take an installer a whole day to install because I had some stubborn bolts on the stock manifold that needed drilling out. Overall, the project cost a lot of money $1050. However, the truck is running great and there's no way I could have devoted 10 hours to the install (and he had air tools and a welder). Flyguy just got some BBK's and from what he says, they're not the same quality as the JBA's.

Oh, another reason: the JBA's were the only ones I could get within 2 weeks.

Ok...so the headers I have to choose from are JBA, BBK, and Borla. Anybody know any websites? I know Borla's but BBK and JBA I'm clueless about. Now you're saying that a good set of headers is (installed)$1050?? I don't have that kinda cash. I got like $400 max to spend....What should I do? Anybody have Borla headers? Are you happy with the power gains? Will the coating really have that much effect on the power gains? I want headers and I want power....But I got like a total of $400 to spend....

Sean
Bosch 4+ Platinum plugs
Splitfire ignition wires

With only $400 I would get a computer chip and TB. The headers will run you that much, and you'd have to install them yourself (if you get the borlas). Good luck finding the Borlas, as they're discontinued and could take as long as 4 or 5 months to get a set made. Besides, you always need a slush fund in case anything goes wrong.

http://www.truckperformance.com has pretty good prices on BBK and JBA. Shipping is free so you could get some for 400, but you would have to install them yourself.

Back