• Register Today It's free!

Headers ??

Buckshot_1

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT was
I am thinking about installing a set of headers on my 92 Explorer, priced out a set of Headman headers but the guy at the counter told me he can get them for 93-94 Explorers. Is there a differance?? I wish to get Borla but they are pricy. Is there differant brands out there that are better than Headmans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i amn ot 100% sure, but i think there was a difference.... jba makes good headers.... stay away from pacesetter..... borlas are probably the best...
why do you want headers, they arent going to give much of a performance gain unless you have a lot of other mods as well, well other than the performane gain of making your wallet 5 pounds lighter.....

Unless your stock exhaust manifolds are leaking then headers are definately not the best mod to do. I noticed in your sig that you do not have an aftermarket catback exhaust setup, chip, MAS, or TB. You can pay for at least the catback and chip for the cost of headers. You could pay for the TB and half the MAS with the labor cost of installing headers.

And no, if they say 93-94 then they will not fit your 92.

thanks

So Alec your saying that a cat back system would be better choice. I was also looking at doing this also,after I installed the headers as I will be needing to replace the y-pipe anyways. Thats why I came here to find out what is best, a chip is in the near future and also the TB. If headers are a waste then I say THANK YOU!!

Why do you need to replace the Y pipe with catback? Cat back is exactly that: after the cats: muffler and tailpipe. Unless your stock exhaust manifolds or stock cats are malfunctioning, use your money for those other mods. Eventually you may want to replace your cats with a high-flow one, but like I said, better to use that money now for other mods until you need to replace your cat.

The thing with headers on the 4.0 is that they tend to give minimal gains and sometimes you even lose torque. I think I wrote it up here:
Dead Link Removed

Cats are fine but the y-pipe is starting to rot at the manifolds. I looked under the truck and the cats and y-pipe are a two piece setup. The cats look like they are in good shape so I will re-use them and install a better exhaust system after the cats. The headers are out and other mods will take place.

Ah, ok. Good luck!

i agree, good luck on the project..... yeah, headers arent worth it till other mods..... later down the line, you may want to do them, but right now, i say do the other stuff....

bbk header are sold on truckperformance.com they are under borla but better than headman and they will run you from 350-400.

Hey BuckShot,

Yea, it will work, I did it. If you look at an old P.A.W. catalog, it lists the Hedman headers for our 92s with the same part number. For some reason (I don't know) Hedman changed the listing to 93-94 Explorers.

My only suggestion is DON'T use the header wrap.
(to trap in the heat)
I did this and within three years it rusted out the pipes. I'm now on my second set of headers.

As it was said above, do your other mods first, including your cat-back system.

I hope this helps.
Roadie01

Back