Headlight bezel issue? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bezel issue?

P

PIUtility

Buddy of mine noticed this last night when pulling my truck out of the shop. During daylight hours you can barely see this, but at night, well you can see here its pretty clear.

wv9xzk.jpg

2vnqons.jpg

Not sure what happened, the lights have never been tampered with, wonder if heat caused it? Definitely wanna get it looked at if its a flaw in the finish, dont want to have to pay later for $2k worth of headlights if the finish starts going to hell down the road

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you put HIDs in it? Maybe the HIDs are producing a lot more heat than the housing can handle?

Yup....what 1995 said. That is usually indicative of a hotter burning bulb installed in the housing.

Went back through his posts and saw where he inquired about HID but didn't see any post that said he installed them.

Peter

HID's are hotter then halogen bulbs?...........I havent noticed that with my HID's

HID lights consume less power from your vehicle's electrical system and also generate less heat than an equivalent wattage halogen bulb.

Peter

Not yet. I had Silverstar Ultras in there, so I'm sure that was the cause if I were a gambling man =(

Wait a minute, I think I totally misunderstood your message until now. Sorry lol. If you see my message and get confused, it's cause I didn't know you were referring to this problem.

Okay, so... You have Silverstar Ultra bulbs? Here is the thing, they must be drawing a LOT more current. The brighter and brighter Halogen bulbs get, the HOTTER they get. I am not sure what the wattage/ amperage the Silverstar Ultras use/draw but I think it is because of those Silverstar Ultras.

To answer your question in the message, nope, I did not have this problem when I installed the HIDs. I in fact, looked at it when I saw this post and saw no cracking. I also did 2 hours of driving with my HIDs at like 95 degree weather during the day (by accident) and had no issues.

I recommend you take those Ultras out of there because I think they are the culprit behind the problem. If you have experience with a volt meter, amp meter. Hook that up to see how many amps that thing is drawing. If it's like 10 amps, that is why those things are cracking cause the bulbs are causing the excess heat.

Not yet. I had Silverstar Ultras in there, so I'm sure that was the cause if I were a gambling man =(

Also, I think I found the wattage:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sylvania...401-0/203652995?keyword=9005+silverstar+ultra

I guess they draw the same current as a stock 9005 bulb (65 watt) but they might produce more heat than your standard halogens. From reading the reviews people had of these, their bulbs seem to burn out early and I am pretty sure that the extra light output (and possibly higher amounts of heat produced compared to a stock 9005) is the culprit.

Is your other side cracking? If not, just take it to the dealer. Claim it under warranty because you definitely didn't do that yourself.

silverstars are the same wattage as stock bulbs the difference is that the bulb filament is thinner so it vibrates faster producing more light but this is also the reason they don't last as long, so they are not hotter than stock bulbs.

silverstars are the same wattage as stock bulbs the difference is that the bulb filament is thinner so it vibrates faster producing more light but this is also the reason they don't last as long, so they are not hotter than stock bulbs.

I can't imagine it being brighter without producing the extra heat. From what I've seen in my experiences, vibrations produce heat.

Looks like Ford approved a repair/replacement, now lets see if they can send the correct headlights the first try......

Has anyone else dealt with this issue yet? Both of my headlights have small cracking/crazing going on. If there is a UV type film or something on the headlights, it's almost like it is that where it's occurring and not in the plastic lens itself.

Take it to the dealer. I believe there was only 1 member that has posted about having to have their headlight swapped out under warranty due to UV issues. Could have just been a bad coating applied to them.

3yr/36k..

Has anyone else dealt with this issue yet? Both of my headlights have small cracking/crazing going on. If there is a UV type film or something on the headlights, it's almost like it is that where it's occurring and not in the plastic lens itself.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I actually had to look up what 'crazing' meant. I think it is similar to what is described in this thread so I've merged your thread with it.

Peter

Back