Headlight bulb difference between H13 OEM and HID H13. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bulb difference between H13 OEM and HID H13.

hi guys im a newbie here and living outside u.s. just bought a used 2006 ford explorer. I dont have any much idea with my explorer so I hope You could help me find out what is the difference between the oem H13 headlight bulb and HID h13. can I use the HID H13 bulb without installing a conversion kit?

and, is there any other bulb specs that i can use aside from the h13? such as 9007/9005/9008? just want to have a white glow bulb without installing HIDs

thanks!

first off, no you cant use any bulb other then an H13... your housing was designed for that bulb, and thats what it takes

secondly,

H13 HID

SIpju7yg6OflkEbqlp_p3C2mgT5jGupIYB7EHfKVF-YOyVya1V.jpg

H13 Halogen

p0dVAsjQXsjP2zxqWXdd0cVffhhn2pZo69O_AkFAMWmKheXFRQ.jpg

You cant just install an HID bulb without the ballasts. HID's also require a hell of alot more volts to ignite, and the ballasts are there to provide the needed power to ignite and run them.

The reason HID's have colors is because of the salts inside the bulb. different salts can give different colors.

If you put HID's in a housing designed for halogen bulbs, expect to have a really crappy beam pattern. And, if you go with a color temp above 6000k, expect to have really crappy light output as well... 4300k is the brightest, followed by 5000k then 6000k, 8000k+ starts to get worse then a halogen bulb.

thanks dredd :) I already installed hid, im tired of looking some bright oem bulbs here in kuwait. it cost me like usd100 if converted. is the price reasonable? now i got another problem, the on board sensor indicates that i got a not working headlight ("check left/right headlight). it stops only when i reset the warning issue..

Im only depending with this site coz not all parts are easy to find..

Back