Headlight bulbs keep blowing???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight bulbs keep blowing????

silvermelon19

Reaction score
City, State
Waldorf MD
Alright i had one blow on me like couple months ago and i was like "ok well maybe just a blown bulb"... so i got clearcorners and switched bulbs to the silverstars ones.... it has been maybe 2 to 3 months and now my right side headlamp bulb just went, THE SAME SIDE.. Im mad cuz its a 10$ bulb, do u think i have a short somewhere in my headlamp or something? i just bought two new headlamps today off of ebay to match my clears better.. What the HECK?????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds liek you got the bulb dirty... you do know that halogen bulbs cant be touched by your hands because your hands have oil on them, it deposits on the bulb, makes it get really hot and blows.....

so if i touched it when i was putting it in, it took three months to blow???

its very possible...... it will significantly shorten life, there is no set amount of time, if its a short, the bulbs would have blown immediately or popped a fuse..... and its very possible, i used plastic bags when i put my headlight bulbs in and they have been in over a year with no problems.....

Before I install headlight bulbs, I wipe them with a cloan cloth or paper towel soaked in isopropyl alcohol, then I don't touch the glass. Oil from your fingers causes hot spots that will shorten bulb life.

Bob

Is there any chance that rain water collects in the light housing? I had that before on my mustang. When I hit a bump, water would hit the bulb and it would break. I couldn't seal the water out so I finally just drilled two small drain holes and never had the problem again.

lol i found my problem , some how my bulb came loose and fell out of the housing, im happy i thought my bulb was blown there for a sec. now for my two new headlamps to come in the mail yay

Back