Headlight "de-laminating" Warning

Iamkarlocke

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
Just a quick FYI -

I own a 2013 Explorer Limited and one day while I was detailing it I noticed something on the passenger headlight. It looked like maybe a bug had hit it and left some clear guts on it but when I looked closer I could tell that the outer layer of the headlight was actually peeling off. This happened in two spots on that headlight only but you almost wouldn't see it unless you were really looking at it. I took it into my local dealer and they said they had never seen that, so they took photos and sent them to Ford. They called me a couple of days later and replaced the headlight under warranty. They referred to it as "de-laminating". I don't have photos to share, this is more of a public service announcement for all 5th gen owners to take a good look at your headlights.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a quick FYI -

I own a 2013 Explorer Limited and one day while I was detailing it I noticed something on the passenger headlight. It looked like maybe a bug had hit it and left some clear guts on it but when I looked closer I could tell that the outer layer of the headlight was actually peeling off. This happened in two spots on that headlight only but you almost wouldn't see it unless you were really looking at it. I took it into my local dealer and they said they had never seen that, so they took photos and sent them to Ford. They called me a couple of days later and replaced the headlight under warranty. They referred to it as "de-laminating". I don't have photos to share, this is more of a public service announcement for all 5th gen owners to take a good look at your headlights.

For anyone who actually read this, just wanted you to know it's happening again on the same headlight - the one that was replaced two years ago. I'm now out of my factory warranty but I'm still in the "certified" bonus year so I'll be taking a trip back to Ford to see if they'll replace it again. Since this has happened to me twice, I'm surprised I haven't seen more Explorer posts about this, but I have found Focus forums that have mentioned the same thing

Can you get a picture this time so we can see what it looks like? My headlights are obviously different from yours, but now you've piqued my interest and will have me watching out for the problem. Thanks.

For anyone who actually read this, just wanted you to know it's happening again on the same headlight - the one that was replaced two years ago. I'm now out of my factory warranty but I'm still in the "certified" bonus year so I'll be taking a trip back to Ford to see if they'll replace it again. Since this has happened to me twice, I'm surprised I haven't seen more Explorer posts about this, but I have found Focus forums that have mentioned the same thing

That's the UV coating that prevents your headlights from oxidizing and yellowing.

Do you by chance park your vehicle outside in the California sun all the time or does it live in a garage?

Are you using factory bulbs with the factory wattage? Cheaper bulbs dont have special UV glass on them and will ruin the lenses.

If anyone tries those headlight buffing kits, don't, if your lights are in good shape. Also keep the buffer away from them, it will also take the coating off, it usually looks like clear coat rubbing thru.

Just a quick FYI -

Ya growing Fukashima bugs out there in CA?

That's the UV coating that prevents your headlights from oxidizing and yellowing.

Do you by chance park your vehicle outside in the California sun all the time or does it live in a garage?
It's parked outside during the day and spends every night in the garage. The odd thing is that the driver's side headlight is 100% fine but it's the passenger one that has now done this twice and there are NO unusual environmental conditions that would contribute to it. Both headlights get the same exposure to the sun, no hard-water sprinklers etc - the conditions are the same

Are you using factory bulbs with the factory wattage? Cheaper bulbs dont have special UV glass on them and will ruin the lenses.

If anyone tries those headlight buffing kits, don't, if your lights are in good shape. Also keep the buffer away from them, it will also take the coating off, it usually looks like clear coat rubbing thru.
They are the stock headlights, especially the one they replaced two years ago. I wax them occasionally but that's about it

Sad thing is I think those lights are several hundred $ EACH out of warranty:confused:

If you are out of warranty and have to foot the bill yourself here is a YouTube video on how to restore a headlamp. He uses a Rust-Oleum clear coat for the final step. I am going to try this next summer on a old truck that I have.

Here's another option if you want to go really cheap.
I did this on my 89 mustang about 5 years ago and they are still holding up. The car is garaged and only sees about 2500 miles/ year, so I'm not sure the durability on a daily driven vehicle that spends most if it's time outside.

Somewhere in that thread, someone tested a few methods by putting a couple lights above their shed, I think in Hawaii. The cheap method didn’t hold up as well as another(sorry, I don’t remember all the details, but feel free to read the many, many(did I say many?) pages of info.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...eadlight-restoration-new-uv-sealant-idea.html

If you are out of warranty and have to foot the bill yourself here is a YouTube video on how to restore a headlamp. He uses a Rust-Oleum clear coat for the final step. I am going to try this next summer on a old truck that I have.

I've done this with the Rustolem clear coat about two years ago on my wife's 2002 Mazda Millenia. 2 years in the Alabama heat w/ no problems.

Back