headlight housing - clean or replace? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

headlight housing - clean or replace?

just put on a set of clear corners (pics in my sig), wow do my headlights look dull and foggy now haha. i searched and found that mothers polish will help, but will it make them look much better? or am i better off replacing them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would spend the money on replacements. You may be able to polish most of the yellow out but the chrome reflector inside dulls after time. Amazing how brighter a new one is. Ebay has some of the best prices. Search Ford Explorer Headlights.

if you get replacements on ebay will they suck like the clear corners and yellow fast or are they just as good as the oem ones?

Fish Man said:
if you get replacements on ebay will they suck like the clear corners and yellow fast or are they just as good as the oem ones?

I dont know how long they will last. I had the headlights I got on Ebay for over a year and a half and they didnt yellow. If I knew what junk yard the X is in now I'd check it out, but I don't.
IMO either style of headlight would look fine. I have never seen the new clear headlights in person so I cant comment on the beam pattern, amount of light ect. Although there have been no complaints heard here.

Wet sand them with 1500 grit sand paper, then polish with buffer using light rubbing compound. After that throw on a nice coat of wax and they will be like new. I detailed cars for 5 years and had to do this a lot. It works great.

Bill Kemp said:
I have never seen the new clear headlights in person so I cant comment on the beam pattern, amount of light ect. Although there have been no complaints heard here.

the dimond heads with silver star bulbs are great. the beam is 1000 times better. the fit and finish of this is also great. im very happy!

just another option..

There's a product made buy Meguiar's called PlastX and it does a really good job of getting the yellow out. Mine look brand new now.

Back