• Register Today It's free!

Headlight pattern

Watcher58

Reaction score
City, State
Billings, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
I bought a 2015 Explorer sport from a dealer several months ago. Now that its winter I drive in the dark a lot. I occasionally get flashed with my low beams on. I noticed that my pattern is straight across except for dead center(if I'm looking at pattern on a wall ). In the center, the pattern has a vertical component that shoots very high-like to the top of the garage-12 feet so its like _____I_____ Is this normal?? I do drive with fog lights on as I travel well out into the pitch black country

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you from the future? It's still fall in the USA for another ~2 months.

Anyway, if you google it, you should find some pics of what normal beam patterns should look like. From what you describe, yours does not sound normal.

That is the same pattern our 15 Explorer sport has when the High beams are on.

I bought a 2015 Explorer sport from a dealer several months ago. Now that its winter I drive in the dark a lot. I occasionally get flashed with my low beams on. I noticed that my pattern is straight across except for dead center(if I'm looking at pattern on a wall ). In the center, the pattern has a vertical component that shoots very high-like to the top of the garage-12 feet so its like _____I_____ Is this normal?? I do drive with fog lights on as I travel well out into the pitch black country
Your Owner's Manual has the diagrams of what the beam pattern should look like and how to adjust it. It starts on page 333 of the 2nd printing of the Manual.

Peter

Sounds like the high beam flap may be stuck "on."
Do you get a different pattern with low vs. high beams?

The difference between low beam and high beam on the 2015 is a flap that cuts off the beam(for low) and opens up(for high). It's the same bulb and filament for high and low.

When mine is on high beam, I get light that goes very high right down the middle(similar to what you are describing).

Here's a good example of what the beam pattern should look like for US and Euro lights - DOT vs ECE beam pattern | Retrofitlab Blog

Yuge thread with projector beam pattern pics - The Hyyuge Projector Full Beam Gallery - HiDplanet : The Official Automotive Lighting Forum

This thread also has some good pics of low vs high beam patterns - Guide to H.I.D. Upgrades & Retrofitting Basics - Dodge SRT Forum

Another good image of low vs high beam patterns -
7DCa2.jpg

You guys should take some pics of your beam patterns (with and without fogs) and post them up. You may have an out of adjustment or defective lamp or assembly. There really shouldn't be any spiking or flaring in the light output on low beam, nor high beam.

Are you from the future? It's still fall in the USA for another ~2 months.

Anyway, if you google it, you should find some pics of what normal beam patterns should look like. From what you describe, yours does not sound normal.
Naw, I forgot to change my profile. I am in Billings, MT now.

Well after you told me about the shutter system, I checked it out. Rt side shutter does not close so on bright continuously. Took it by the dealer. Next week should be fixed. I hope my obscenely expensive MasterTech Ultra Wrap warranty covers it. Don't know cost?

Unless someone has a better idea, I taped off the bright level of the light.

Good call Odrapnew.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back