Headlight Protection | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Protection

Jack3115

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used 3m on my ford. also apply it on my bikes for protection mainly against rock chips and what not. Works great for the 7 months I have had it on with no peeling. Also applied it on side doors, front bumper, rear bumper, and on bottom of the doors where paint seems to rub off.
I buy it off of ebay where you can get a good amount of film for a good price.

Hopefully that helps you out a little

When I had the front end protection of my Limited done with 3M, the headlights/fogs was part of the deal. I get the 3M on all my cars.

3Mjob-1.jpg

Jetz, you mind me asking how much it cost to get that done? I havent attempted the hood yet because thats gonna be tough to do

Thanks for the replies back. I always remember seeing the 3m years ago but did not know if one of the other brands may be good. I think that I will most likely go with the 3m for the headlights. I would rather go with something that has been around and has a good rep than trying one that no one has used and possibly throw some money out the window.

Thanks for the replies back. I always remember seeing the 3m years ago but did not know if one of the other brands may be good. I think that I will most likely go with the 3m for the headlights. I would rather go with something that has been around and has a good rep than trying one that no one has used and possibly throw some money out the window.
In the 2 1/2+ years that I have been on this forum I have read posts about the fog light lenses being cracked, but nothing on headlights. Come to think of it, in 50 years of driving, I've never had a broken/cracked headlight.

Peter

Issue is not so much with 'cracking' Peter, but 'abrasion'! Have you seen how many different brands of lens 'rejuvenating' kits are out there for all the clouded headlight lenses?

In the 2 1/2+ years that I have been on this forum I have read posts about the fog light lenses being cracked, but nothing on headlights. Come to think of it, in 50 years of driving, I've never had a broken/cracked headlight.

Peter

I have the xpel on the front except for the mirrors and headlight ( mine came with some ugly "chrome mirrors") and I'm really happy with it. Not cheap though. I paid over $500 for the bumper, grill and a 4 inch section on the hood. Since it's expensive, I'm looking at other options for the headlights on eBay. I'm going to get one of those DIY kits and give it a try.

Just my 2cents

Issue is not so much with 'cracking' Peter, but 'abrasion'! Have you seen how many different brands of lens 'rejuvenating' kits are out there for all the clouded headlight lenses?
Didn't think about that. The cloudiness is caused by over exposure to UV light. So any film applied to the lenses should have some type of UV inhibitors such as X-Pel does. I guess I never have my vehicles long enough for that to happen.

Peter

Almost $1100 for the 3M 'Venture Shield'. :eek:
Drove from the dealer directly to the 3M shop!

Jetz, you mind me asking how much it cost to get that done? I havent attempted the hood yet because thats gonna be tough to do

Almost $1100 for the 3M 'Venture Shield'. :eek: Drove from the dealer directly to the 3M shop!
Ouch!!!!!! I guess i didn't do too bad after all by going with xpel at a little over $500.

I wish I would have done like you though... I waited a month and by the time I got it done, already had a chip on my hood and one on my bumper!! :-(

...and I held my breath on the way! :D

Ouch!!!!!! I guess i didn't do too bad after all by going with xpel at a little over $500.

I wish I would have done like you though... I waited a month and by the time I got it done, already had a chip on my hood and one on my bumper!! :-(

Back