• Register Today It's free!

Headlight Switch Bulb DIY 2006 EB

bikedad

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer EB
The headlight switch bulb in my 2006 EB burned out. Went to Ford and found out they don't offer the replacement bulb just the switch assembly for over $100.
This is just another DIY on replacing the bulb cheaply.

First I popped the switch assembly out:
20130907_140059.jpg

20130907_140129.jpg

Here's the bulb that will be removed (pointing at with screwdriver) I used a small pliers to turn 1/4 turn and remove.
20130907_140204.jpg

20130907_140319.jpg

I had already performed the operation before deciding on the DIY posting. Here is the bulb with the replacement bulb in place and the old bulb next to it.
20130907_140356.jpg

Here is the package I purchased from Radio Shack. Part# 272-0335. ($2.99)
There are 2 bulb assemblies in the bag. I disassembled one and removed the bulb with the wires. I cut the wires and stripped down enough to insert the wires into the 2 holes. (You'll see when you remove the old bulb)
The old bulb slides right out when you unwrap the wires from the base. I used a small jewelers screw driver to unwrap.
You then trim the black plastic wrap from the base of the new bulb. I used a small Xacto blade and small pliers. This is done so the bulb sits in the base better. You probably don't need to because after looking at the switch later I noticed plenty of room in the bottom.
When you insert the new bulb wires into the holes just rewrap at the base the same as the old bulb was.
20130907_140505.jpg

20130907_140819.jpg

Here is the switch with the new bulb installed. It's as bright as the OEM bulb:
20130907_140956.jpg

All in all I have to say this was a very easy fix.

While I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of changing the bulb as I have auto lights and never touch the switch, I commend you on doing a write-up as I'm sure someone will use it! :salute:

While I probably wouldn't go through the trouble of changing the bulb as I have auto lights and never touch the switch, I commend you on doing a write-up as I'm sure someone will use it! :salute:

I also have auto lights and never touched the switch. ;)
I noticed the light was out about two weeks ago. I tapped the panel and it came back on. Last week it burned out completely.
I don't really need the light but it just annoyed me that the bulb was out.
I don't understand why Ford doesn't offer the replacement bulb. It's the easiest bulb to replace.

Back