Headlight switch miniature light bulb | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight switch miniature light bulb

drawesome

Reaction score
City, State
Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Eddie Bauer
Hi all...

Can anyone help me find a replacement for the small light bulb that illuminates the headlight switch?

The dealership does not sell it, and they tell me the only way is to replace the entire switch at an $87 dollars cost..

The light is a small wire-terminal-base bulb sitting in a long white plastic tube casing that you just twist and remove from the switch...

i removed the bulb itself from the plastic tube and I am trying to buy one but I dont know what specs to look for...All I know is that it is a 12v wire based miniature bulb and looks like this: http://bulbster.com/lightbulbs/2174-p-2351.html

Can anyone help me with what I should look for? Watts? mAMP? Dimentions? (MOL and MOD) and maybe where to get them from? or if someone had the chance to get it through the dealer ?

thank you

I put an LED in my '95 as the bulb was $12 and burned out after a week. I found a blue washer nozzle LED and routed it in there, it's not pretty but it works and after 5 years it's still lit.

The newer green lights are easier to match than my greenish-blue.

I had to get creative to make it work, but I drilled a hole in the bottom of the socket and ran the wires out through it for the LED to mount in the stock position and then ran the wires to the contacts to the socket/bulb holder assembly..if memory serves.

It's not very bright, but bright enough to find it in the dark.

I am not familiar with LEDs but my understanding is I would have to install an LED behind every icon or symbol on the swith since the LED does not spread light and putting just one in the designated bulb position will not light up the entire switch...am I right? It would be too much work but like you said, it probably is worth it at the end unless I find a cheap replacement bulb

Back