Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlight/Wiper/Defrost/Fog LED conversion

SB97UKexplorer: Your headlight switch is on the wrong side of the car!! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just an Update for everyone

100B1260.jpg

Here's my gauge cluster with the inverted wedge LEDs:

P7190006.jpg

looks good...my only problem with changing my gauges i want all blue but i cant do it with out buying indaglow gauges

i didn't even know that the headlight switch lit up. mine's been burnt out since before i bought it.
now that i have that bit of info i think i might have to give the led conversion a try
btw those blue switches and needles look pretty good:thumbsup:

i didn't even know that the headlight switch lit up. mine's been burnt out since before i bought it.
now that i have that bit of info i think i might have to give the led conversion a try
btw those blue switches and needles look pretty good:thumbsup:

Haha same thing with me, I had my explorer for almost 6 years when I read that the headlight switch was supposed to light up. Never realized it.

mine has never been lit up neither didn't know it was supposed to!
what about the cruise buttons and the wiper/blinker stalk? are they supposed to light up as well?

mine has never been lit up neither didn't know it was supposed to!
what about the cruise buttons and the wiper/blinker stalk? are they supposed to light up as well?

cruise buttons light up, turn signal stalk doesn't

thanks,now I have a project for next weekend after I find some resisters that is a lot cheaper than the 12volts I found

Write me down as another who had no clue the headlight switch lit up.

I'm going to try to give this a shot soon. My color of choice will be red. Looks great guys. Thanks for the writeup.

well tried this tonight, got the fog and defrost no pictures though, the camera ate all of my batteries, only thing I did different though, I wired straight to the original contacts Had to cut a small notch in the holder to make room on top of the switch for the resister, the color is wrong but at least I can see them at night now.

Write me down as another who had no clue the headlight switch lit up.

I'm going to try to give this a shot soon. My color of choice will be red. Looks great guys. Thanks for the writeup.

You got to put some pics up when you get red lights in there. I was thinking about doing red lights also (my favorite color). But I wanted to see what it would look like first.

tried to fix the light in the outside keypad last night but the led isn't bright enough for the fiber optic anybody had any luck trying to fix this? I might have screwed up the reflector now by drilling out the plastic so the bigger led could fit. I will try to find a small incandescent that will fit today and see if that works unless someone has other suggestions

just found the thread for this, wish I would have looked earlier

so where did the wires from the led for the fog and defrost run to? i can't figure it out so p51 if you could help?

so where did the wires from the led for the fog and defrost run to? i can't figure it out so p51 if you could help?

I got power from the wire that use to power the bulb inside the rear wiper switch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have any pictures of that. If you look at the harness that plugs into the rear wiper switch there will be 4 wires (if I remember correctly) one of those wires will be red with a black stripe. That is the wire that you need to cut and then wire the positive leads of the LEDs to. Then Just ground the negative leads of the LEDs.

Back