• Register Today It's free!

Headlight

marka08

Reaction score
City, State
Bristol Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 explorer sport
Hey guys, I have a 1991 explorer sport and I need to change the whole headlight itself, I am not sure how to go about doing that and was wanting some instruction on the matter. Also, can a headlight from a 1991-1994 model explorer fit mine as well? Any info and comments are welcome, thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, they are interchangable 91-94. They are also on the aftermarket for about $35 new.

1. Open hood and remove plastic piece across top of grill (lots of carrot fasteners).

2. Remove 2 visible screws holding on grill. Bottom of grill is held by clips on inside, if you press the clip down with a long screwdriver, the grill comes off. (Hard to describe, once you do it once, it's obvious).

3. Headlight comes off with more screws, again, fairly obvious. The assembly consists of the headlight/bracket, the turn signal lens, and a trim piece around the outside. The signal lens and trim are held on by some (imo) rather bogus clips, and you may have some frustration getting everything loose. Again, once you do it, it becomes more obvious.

Reassembly is the reverse. Getting the turn signal lens back on the clips is a matter of more force than I like to use on old plastic... such as it is.

Yes, they are interchangable 91-94. They are also on the aftermarket for about $35 new.

The signal lens and trim are held on by some (imo) rather bogus clips, and you may have some frustration getting everything loose. .

Reassembly is the reverse. Getting the turn signal lens back on the clips is a matter of more force than I like to use on old plastic... such as it is.

If you had access to a u pull it junk yard with decent prices you can get a hell of a steal....I replaced both of mine for $18 (pull-a-part junkyard) my lights looked brand new.

Frustration...... hahahaha good one, prepare for busted knuckles when the screwdriver slips, and curse words....

Yeah don't worry if it sounds horrible going back into place. Once it "pops back in" you're good.

1. Open hood and remove plastic piece across top of grill (lots of carrot fasteners).

2. Remove 2 visible screws holding on grill. Bottom of grill is held by clips on inside, if you press the clip down with a long screwdriver, the grill comes off. (Hard to describe, once you do it once, it's obvious).

3. Headlight comes off with more screws, again, fairly obvious. The assembly consists of the headlight/bracket, the turn signal lens, and a trim piece around the outside. The signal lens and trim are held on by some (imo) rather bogus clips, and you may have some frustration getting everything loose. Again, once you do it, it becomes more obvious.

Hey Thanks for the info, I appreciate and will use it win I install the new lights this week. I have a couple of other questions as well if you do not mind replying. First, Is there a fuse or a single wire I can unplug so that win I open my hatch the light does not come on? I do alot of jet sking, mountain biking etc. and that would be extremely helpful to not worry about the battery dying. Secondly, is there a website you would recommend for bying new headlights?

Hey Thanks for the info, I appreciate and will use it win I install the new lights this week. I have a couple of other questions as well if you do not mind replying. First, Is there a fuse or a single wire I can unplug so that win I open my hatch the light does not come on? I do alot of jet sking, mountain biking etc. and that would be extremely helpful to not worry about the battery dying. Secondly, is there a website you would recommend for bying new headlights?

Yes there is a main interior fuse hat kills the lights.

I had a door jam switch go bad and until I traced it, I pulled the fuse, viola no interior lights.

The downfall: it kills the radio and probably the cruise control (my cruise doesn't work anyway)

As far as buying new lights they're all over fleabay... mostly around $35 a piece.

I know it's a decent trip from Bristol, but seriously I'd go to Pull-a-part in Knoxville and see what you can find. I just went to the website, and as I'm writing this there are 12 1991-1994 explorers on the lot.

I paid $9 each for my "junkyard" headlights. I would always try to urge the use of junkyards because some people put new stuff on vehicles like ours and then they go to the JY.

The advantage of going to a junk yard besides the price is that you get practice taking off the light. You can bust things up without having to worry about it. Removing a used headlight could really helpl you figure out how to remove the old one on your truck, and the grill etc. without breaking anything.

The advantage of going to a junk yard besides the price is that you get practice taking off the light. You can bust things up without having to worry about it. Removing a used headlight could really helpl you figure out how to remove the old one on your truck, and the grill etc. without breaking anything.

x2

This is how I learned to pull mine.

If you do junk yard, be sure to look at the reflector and whatnot from the inside. There is a tendency for water to get into these, so if you see any with water spots on the inside, or sealant gooped on it... keep looking. Also, it would not hurt to test the adjusters.

Here's some from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Head...omotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1994|1994&carId=001

Or Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRON...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If anyone is looking for parts, don't overlook Amazon. It's a crapshoot, but sometimes they are the best price after free shipping. I didn't find any headlights with free shipping on Amazon today, but I have in the past... they come and go. They were my best price for Moog RA bushings... go figure!

If you do junk yard, be sure to look at the reflector and whatnot from the inside. There is a tendency for water to get into these, so if you see any with water spots on the inside, or sealant gooped on it... keep looking. Also, it would not hurt to test the adjusters.

Here's some from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Head...omotive&Make=Ford|54&Year=1994|1994&carId=001

Or Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRON...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

If anyone is looking for parts, don't overlook Amazon. It's a crapshoot, but sometimes they are the best price after free shipping. I didn't find any headlights with free shipping on Amazon today, but I have in the past... they come and go. They were my best price for Moog RA bushings... go figure!

I took a suggestion on here and drilled 2 7/16" holes in the bottom of the headlight assemblies to aid in moisture drainage, the root prob of my original driver side headlight. The moisture was so bad I couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of my truck.

I like the price on amazon but didn't catch the ship price. I know one of my car lot buddies that deals with mostly rebuilds found headlight assembly for $28 each. I just can't remember which site he used.

I bought a new set of headlights for my 93 on e bay for about $55.00 shipped they were labeled for a 90 ranger but there the same lights . they were cheaper then any of the labeled explorer lights at the time so try to remember and search for other models that also fit as some times there can be a price deference in your favor as I fond.

Back