Headlights on, message center and radio lights off! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headlights on, message center and radio lights off!

justchecking

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT V6 2WD
I just noticed this. When the headlight switch is in AUTO and the headlights come on, the message center and radio displays dim as they should. HOWEVER, if I put the headlight switch manually to the ON position, the message center and radio displays go out.

I assume that the dimmer circuit is running through a different path in this case, but what could it be? Couldn't spot anything on the wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

I just noticed this. When the headlight switch is in AUTO and the headlights come on, the message center and radio displays dim as they should. HOWEVER, if I put the headlight switch manually to the ON position, the message center and radio displays go out.

I assume that the dimmer circuit is running through a different path in this case, but what could it be? Couldn't spot anything on the wiring diagram.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Mine was exhibiting similar behavior. Can you change from the odometer to the tripometer? Does the mileage update as you are driving? Does the Outside Temp display correctly? Sounds like you might have the infamous problem with the LED display.

I recently fixed mine using these 2 threads:

Check out this thread for the repair: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?p=2552800

Check out this thread for removal of the instrument cluster: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

Hope this helps out & good luck with the fix. :biggthump

Turned out that replacing my headlight switch fixed the problem. Symptom was that when I manually turned on the headlights (not auto) the odometer display and radio displays went out. I pried out the switch enough to get the part number and ordered a new motorcraft one from Rockauto. It was an easy install. That fixed that problem. 175,000 miles and counting.

Turned out that replacing my headlight switch fixed the problem. Symptom was that when I manually turned on the headlights (not auto) the odometer display and radio displays went out. I pried out the switch enough to get the part number and ordered a new motorcraft one from Rockauto. It was an easy install. That fixed that problem. 175,000 miles and counting.

Nice job with the fix. :thumbsup: Thanks for the update. ;)

Back