• Register Today It's free!

Headlights On/Off

PCTechman

Reaction score
City, State
Central Islip, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4X4 EB
I replaced my headlight switch because my lights would go On & Off while driving. I checked for shorts everywhere. The only thing I did not replace is the headlight relay. Does anyone know where they hide this on a first Gen?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

im pretty sure its in the fuse box under the hood

Headlight Relay Location

No, it's not there.

did you try looking in the relay box underneath the fuse box under the hood?

Headlight Relay Location

Yes, Thanks, I found what looks like what you described with three relays in it: green, beige and black, do you happen to know which one I change to replace with the gray one I got from the auto store? Thanks Again!

Headlight Relay Location

I think I've got it solved, it's the black one. The gray replacement would not go into the green plug so I removed the tan/beige one and the lights still worked. I wonder why they replace it with a different colored one? After checking on several auto parts websites, I see some manufacturers make the relay in black. I was a little reluctant to start taking those plastic plug/lock modules apart, after all things are very brittle after 15 years! Thanks Again for your help!!!

I think the relays under the fusebox, in no particular order, are for the EEC, Fuel Pump and WOT. I'll confirm the color codes this weekend.
To aid in your troubleshooting, I've attached a diagram of the headlight schema for the 91-94 Explorers

Attachments

• Headlights.JPG
    Headlights.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 346

Headlight Relay Location

Shamaal,

Thank You for your knowledge and assistance....

PCTechman

Back