headlights suck

F14CRAZY

To the flo...
Reaction score
City, State
Dimondale, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 GT, '93 Limited
Howdy. I've put up with this for a while...

The headlight performance on my Limited (and the GT) is dismal. I'm running Sylvania Silverstars and the original Ford headlight assemblies. They're not excessively cloudy or anything and you can see inside them pretty well. The thing is that the beam is something like 20 feet long in front of me, so far away I can't see much, and right in front of the truck I can't see much (though Limited has fogs). It doesn't seem to be an issue with aiming.

Is this normal? When driving at night in the rain, my mom thought that I didn't have my lights on. I don't know if it's fair to compare, but with her '05 Durango (just regular halogens), it's like daylight in front of the vehicle even with the fogs off.

Is this something I have to live with? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... sounds like an aiming issue to me.

i've noticed my moms '94 with stock heads/bulbs is pretty bad to..but then again i've gotton used to my HIDs so idk how skewed my view is..lol

yes they suck, but they shouldnt be that bad. sound like theyre aimed way low. youre one of those people who drive around with "fog lights" all the time arent you?

I'll see about a photo of my beams tomorrow

Ha no, I don't drive with my fogs on all the time. With the stock Limited lights the real headlight must be on for the fogs to be on. Parks won't cut it. I do like the idea of fogs being available for dawn, dusk, rain, etc

The 1st. generation Xs have 9004 bulbs that are 10 watts lower wattage that the 2nd gens. 45 watts(9004) compared to 55 watts(9007) on the 2nd gens. 10 watts doesnt sound like much but it is 20% more. I just changed my sons 9004 to 9007 (Chev Lum. Van) and it made an appreciable difference.
Changing the light housings would probably help a lot also as they do deteriorate after 10 yrs. or so.

i'm trying to swing some dimond heads and the same 6000k HID hit i have. should be good to go then..lol

BTW i do have 9007 bulbs in her truck...i forgot i swaped them awhile ago.

Thank you Bill and everyone else.

Would those "diamond cut" lenses from ebay help at all?

dimond cut heads so make a differance even with normal bulbs...or atleast they did on my 2gen.

alexefron said:
yes they suck, but they shouldnt be that bad. sound like theyre aimed way low. youre one of those people who drive around with "fog lights" all the time arent you?

^^^I'm one of those people...lol. I burn aux. lights all the time. It doesn't help that I'm basically night blind either...

Back