• Register Today It's free!

Headlights turned off tonight!

jason's 94

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer 4dr XLT 4x4
Was coming back home tonight and put my blinker on to make a left and all of a sudden my headlights shut off. Luckily I wasn't in a bad spot and just pulled off the road.

Here's what's happening- I can turn my high beams on by holding them on manually. The Parking lights work normally and the L&R blinkers work as well. It's just getting the headlights to work in the fixed position.

My thinking is i gotta take the steering column plastics off and check the wiring. What ya guys think? Thanks, Jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You might just need a new switch...:dunno:

what switch and where's it's location?

My guess would be headlight switch or the multifunction switch.

...headlight switch needs to be replaced .i just did this last month because my headlights went out like you (every thing worked just not the low beams .

1, you will need to remove the radio and the ash tray
2,pulling off the dash trim ...
a) pull it off half way ( carefull the pins that hold it into the dash are old and break easy

b) put the shifter into drive ( this gives you more space to work as your pulling out the dash bezel..... once you did that ,dis-connect the buttons for rear wiper/defrost/fog ( these can be a pita carefull not to break tabs that are on the harness's of the buttons .

c) after getting the buttons loose carefull fully wiggle the dash trim up and out of the way

3, the switch is held in there with either 2 bolts or screws ( remove them )

4, wiggle the hd switch out of the dash , once you have it out be carefull not to break the tabs that hold the wire harness onto the unit ( this is a must because the hd switch heats up so often and so much that everything thats connected to the switch is BRITTLE especiality one wire that is in the center of the harness ( must be main wire lead for the headlights)

5, once you got the harness undone you will see a spring loaded button under it .....pull the knob out all the way ( like if you were turning on the headlights ) and at the same time press in that spring loaded button .

may take one or more times of presssing and pulling on the knob before the knob / shaft slides out of the headlight switch .

6, unscrew the nut behind the knob and remove black metal backer plate ( the one you see from inside the truck / dash) take the plate off and save the nut and the knob ( you will need them cause a new switch will not have them )

7, go buy your self a new unit ( $20 at auto zone) they will ask you if your truck has power mirrors or not ( 2 types of headlight switches sold ) ,also since you got it out at this point take it with you to make sure they give you the correct part ;)

8 re-install the new switch and when it comes to the backer plate ....it has slots in it so it only installs one way when slideing it back into the dash ( i did mine wrong the first time and could not figure out what was doing wrong )

i guess above all on what to watch out for would be the plastics on the truck

.....they are old and the plastics either being your dash trim or the wire harness's will BREAK VERY VERY EASY if you don't pay special attention .

goodluck :D

thanks for the response, greatly appreciate it. Jason

well it wasn't the window switch. here's what's the problem. I'm glad it didn't do worse.

Photo0028.jpg

? what harness is that ...headlight ?

it's one of the connectors that goes into the multi-switch (turn signal).

do you have the hella aftermarket/driving/fog lights or anything like them?

I had a problem with the amps/subs shorting and staying on for some time i couldn' find the exact location. Than another problem popped up and the factory speaker harness (the gray speaker cable) than took a dump as i heard static alot of the time. I pulled the amp fuse and rewired the speakers which was fun and didn't have a problem until a couple days ago.

It has the stock headlights, wiring and what not. no fog lights or anything of that kind.

I had this exact problem!!! with my 94! Its the headlight switch!!! not the multifunction stick... its the round one that pulls uot twice i replaced mine has never done it ever again! about $15.00 at Autozone. Easy fix! mine worked in the running light and brights when manually held on only. this solution fixed everything!

Back