• Register Today It's free!

Headlights

JustB_Rad

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
I'm not sure I'm confindent in my ablilities enough to install an HID conversion kit. What are the best, brightest replacement halogen bulbs available for our X's?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lots of different customer opinions and manufacturing marketing hype to make a good decision on this topic. The biggest downside going with the upgrade bulbs is short life expectancy. Some reports of only 30 days before burnout. That is why i am considering the HID kit for my EX. 1 year warranty plus the bulb should last for years.

I am using Sylvania ZXE got them from Advance Auto, they are pretty good. $49.99
For the set.

actually, several HID kits are either 'lifetime warranty' or '3 yr warranty'.....

Straight up HID installs are easy. Projector retrofits are more involved. However, most straight up installs yield blotchy light and lots of glare. Can't speak for 5th gen Explorers,but that's the case with previous generations.

Straight up HID installs are easy. Projector retrofits are more involved. However, most straight up installs yield blotchy light and lots of glare. Can't speak for 5th gen Explorers,but that's the case with previous generations.

What would be the best HID kit to buy then? I'm not interested in a projector retrofit because I'm sure I'd find a way to screw that up.

Thanks!

What would be the best HID kit to buy then? I'm not interested in a projector retrofit because I'm sure I'd find a way to screw that up.

Thanks!

The components I got with my retrofit kit (HID bulbs and ballasts) are top notch. The ballasts and bulbs they sell are as good, if not much better than most sellers out there.

You don't have to take the projectors. Just order the ballasts, bulbs and wiring harnesses from here. May be a bit more spendy than some places, but well worth it. People rave about their components on hidplanet.com and I must admit....they're right. Rock solid and weatherproof ballasts, high quality bulbs and excellent wiring harnesses.

You just spent big bucks on a brand new 'Sploder. Why skimp on the lights? ;)

The components I got with my retrofit kit (HID bulbs and ballasts) are top notch. The ballasts and bulbs they sell are as good, if not much better than most sellers out there.

You don't have to take the projectors. Just order the ballasts, bulbs and wiring harnesses from here. May be a bit more spendy than some places, but well worth it. People rave about their components on hidplanet.com and I must admit....they're right. Rock solid and weatherproof ballasts, high quality bulbs and excellent wiring harnesses.

You just spent big bucks on a brand new 'Sploder. Why skimp on the lights? ;)

LOL...that's looks like alot of stuff to screw up....

LOL...that's looks like alot of stuff to screw up....

I just pointed you to the HID kits they sell without the projectors. As they said in their description, those kits are a LOT better than the $50 eBay specials. Couldn't agree more. You want one of those $150 kits (not sure the bulb size on the 5th Gen Exploder).

I've used a lot of HID kits through the years and quality varies wildly. So does support. What you get from TRS if you buy your kit from them is a high quality kit with great support.

HID kits are easy to install. Plug the wiring harness to your battery and ground it. Mount the ballasts and plug into wiring harness. Install the bulbs into your headlights and plug the bulbs into your ballasts

DONE :thumbsup:

Back