• Register Today It's free!

headliner rattling

my94pony

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport
any tiny bump in the road my car makes a rattling noise and im pretty sure its coming from the headliner (when i hold the headliner up it quiets the sound a bunch)
has anyone else had and fixed this problem? i talked to a couple friends who have had explorers and they said they had the noise but never found it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any tiny bump in the road my car makes a rattling noise and im pretty sure its coming from the headliner (when i hold the headliner up it quiets the sound a bunch)
has anyone else had and fixed this problem? i talked to a couple friends who have had explorers and they said they had the noise but never found it

Have you tried removing the headliner and checking for anything loose? Might be that your overhead light is loose. Does your ex have a sunroof?

It does have a sunroof and it's definitely coming from where the sunroof sits in the headliner whenopen

My 05 had this problem. It ended up being a cross-brace that the sunroof mounted too. The problem was it was assembled as metal-to-metal contact and the screw came loose just enough to let it rattle. Pus some foam rubber in there that I had laying around and screwed it back down (with loc-tight) and it hasnt ratled since.

Though, I agree with everyone else, you do need to drop the headliner to find the specific location. easiest way is to drop it then have someone drive over a rough road while you crawl around in back looking for the source.

thanks alot jaydez im going to try and see if thats my issue this weekend, it definitely sounds like it is

So I took the headliner and sunroof out, put dynamat everywhere metal touched metal, and tightened up the bolts that hold the bracket for the overhead handles, they were pretty loose
So I don't know which thing I did that actually fixed it but no more noises!!

Back