Headliner removal on ‘96 XLT 4 door. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headliner removal on ‘96 XLT 4 door.

Jarad

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hey all,
First post here so bear with me. I recently purchased a 96 Explorer with a sun roof but noticed it has a leak on the interior by the passenger side of the front windshield. I decided to drop the headliner to A.) replace the gross stained one, B.) seal the leak from the inside as well as the outside and check for rust while im at it.

I’ve run into a bit of trouble however. I’m about 90% of the way done with taking down the headliner, but I can get it out until I unbolt the safety belts. The only information I could find in removing the headliner mentioned that they unbolt using a torx t25. They do not. I also bought a torx t40, Still too small.

I was hoping maybe one of y’all have experience in this department and could tell me the exact size of the torx screwdriver needed, and whether or not I have to special order it. I was also wondering if they unbolt in a particular manner, (like righty loosey, lefty tighty ) seeing as if they came unbolted in a collision it would be bad news.

I’ve got photos attached of what the
Bolts look like with a dime for scale. Thanks y’all.

72B08DF4-EFF4-49AD-A48B-4295F9FCC1DB.jpeg

E640156E-6890-4722-B6E0-B225F6A9CF3E.jpeg

T50

https://www.************.com/threads/seat-belt-super-torx-size.40496/

You should probably get a set of Torx Drivers. Probably would be as cheap as buying just a few. And you will likely use them in future, if you are going to keep working on trucks. I also think the driver you need here is a T-50.

Try Harbor Freight. Good luck.

Its a T-50, same as the first gen Explorers. Will be easier to remove with a impact wrench if you have one.

In the future, please try the search function first. It works quite well on this forum, and there are dozens of threads already created on this same subject.

Back