• Register Today It's free!

headliners

think_7500

Reaction score
City, State
CORONA,CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 4X4 EDDIE BAUER
i am looking to replace the headliner on my 93 x. It looks pretty ratty and i want to give it some pizzaz. I have been trying to find somewhere that has the material i want but to no avail. I am looking for something that resembles a godfather or scarface poster, rock band, etc.... a picture or movie clip of some sort. Are these types of things available? if not, how would i go about making a custom headliner to this effect.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a marine carpet shop re do mine. Cost me $160. They took it out & recovered it with a matching fabric. Came out very nice.

Wow a local shop quoted me 75 lol i just dont need my headliner or i would do it.

I redid mine in my 91, just spent $40 for headliner material, $20 for the glue and a little elbow grease, fantastic results.

I just did mine before Christmas on my 97 ex. I did a camo theme came out dope! It was pretty easy! A few yards of fabric from Jo Ann's and 2 cans of adhesive from advance auto! Took total prob 2 1/2 hours

Edited; didn't realize until I looked that this was a dead thread

Thread_Necromancy.jpg

532faa64.jpg

71ab0306.jpg

8dff954b.jpg

1e84049f.jpg

a371e36d.jpg

I had planned to redo my head liner this summer because of some minor burns from smokers but all my fathers material burnt up in a recent fire that burned his house to the ground.

He made it out and has plans to rebuild on the same spot where the other one stood which was built by my great grand father in 1936. He had basic head liner colors, several hundred in material alone, enough for 50 or more vehicles.

But it's all replaceable. So I'll just delay doing mine until next year. Over all it does cost about $20 for glue which can be purchased at Walmart and maybe $15-25 in material consider two and four door explorer's.

That sucks bud. Sorry to hear that! And the material you can get from JoAnn's for about 15 and the spray adhesive is about 8.. Not to bad. But good luck with it!

I just did mine before Christmas on my 97 ex. I did a camo theme came out dope! It was pretty easy! A few yards of fabric from Jo Ann's and 2 cans of adhesive from advance auto! Took total prob 2 1/2 hours

I have my headliner out and plan to do it in the near futher. When you did yours, did you put the new fabric over your old one or did you remove it from the fiber board backing (or what ever it is)? Thanks

I did it over the old fabric. I think it stuck better that way. When I did It I layed the fabric over the whole headliner then folded it back an started from the middle And worked my way to the ends.. I would get two cans of spray adhesive just to insure it sticks very well. after it all is sprayed on and dry I cut all the holes out.. But make sure when you run the fabric to the edges you can run a little of the fabric tO the other side and spray that as well to better the chances of it no falling!

I did it over the old fabric. I think it stuck better that way. When I did It I layed the fabric over the whole headliner then folded it back an started from the middle And worked my way to the ends.. I would get two cans of spray adhesive just to insure it sticks very well. after it all is sprayed on and dry I cut all the holes out.. But make sure when you run the fabric to the edges you can run a little of the fabric tO the other side and spray that as well to better the chances of it no falling!

Ok thanks. Yours turned out really great.

Thanks I like it! Now just gotta get the matching seat covers :)

Why would you put it over the old liner? Whats going to stop the old liner from peeling off the you new liner coming right with it?old liner should be removed first

anyone have a source for the entire headliner including the board for my 92 Explorer with sun roof?

I've seen a few mentions of of the second gen (maybe first gen too?) headliner backing being difficult to remove the old fabric without destroying the crumby fiber-board backing. Curious to get any feedback from others as to whether or not they successfully removed the old fabric without ruining the board. :eek: For those that simply covered over the old fabric, how long has the new material stayed up problem free? It seems there is a third option of removing the old fabric and lightly scraping the residual foam/adhesive, but not doing a full clean.

IMO completely removing and cleaning the old material is the proper way to do it, and will last the longest - but I'm not convinced that this is possible on the fiber boards. I have my headliner out at the moment, and am debating which route to take... :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back