• Register Today It's free!

Heads, gasket, or block?

boostmaster

Reaction score
City, State
SoCal
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XL
I bought this 91 ex with the notorious 4.0. Engine used to run (recently)according to last owner. Tried to start and nothing. It turned over but there was an immediate bubbling sound in the overflow tank. I checked the oil and it's not exactly milkshake but too close for my taste.

The truck was on a slight incline and after several attempts to show me that the car would start, I told the ownder to stop for fear of messing it up worse. Anyway, after he stopped there was water (antifreeze) leaking profusely down the exhaust pipe and dripping from the muffler as it met the pipe. :eek:

I'm going to tear it down tomorrow. I'll assume the worst (cracked head in this case) and plan on buying new heads. Can you guys direct me to the best resource for acqiring heads. Don't need anything fancy, just heads that work, won't break anytime soon and are easy on the wallet. It would be nice if they were also in stock and did not take months to source.

If done a few "searches" on the board but I cannot find definitive names of vendors. I'd like a few phone numbers or websites if possible. Even better would be to find someone local in San Diego...Oh yeah and pricing would be nice too...

Anyway, any help would be appreciated....
TIA

PS. I checked on ebay and there is a compnay selling heads for $125.00 + 35 S/h (built by Allied Manufacturing in GA) with a 6 month warranty. Is this stuff any good? Not convinced about buying heads on ebay... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info. I called them and they have what I need however, they want $180 per side and offer 90 day warranty. The ebay people want $125 per side and offer a 6 month warranty.

Also, I'm unsure if I even need heads. There are no signes of any physical damage at all!! Shouldn't I at least see something?

Back