heads up: Aftermarket stereo install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

heads up: Aftermarket stereo install

beetlebz

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Sooooo today I took on the 15 minute task of installing my alpine 9815 (dont laugh, that thing has been with me through 3 cars and is still sexy as the day I bought her! ;)) into my 94 exploder. Well, it would have been 15 minutes had I done a google search before hand. I used the install sleeve that came with the head unit into the factory opening... A little bending of the locking tabs and she sat right in. I used the only wiring harness that advance auto carried, which was 20 freakin dollars :mad: NOW for the moral of the story.

HU fired up, worked PERFECTLY, but no sound. 2 hours of trouble shooting was solved by a 30 second google search... the factory amp. who knew? :rolleyes: I certainly didnt. The "premium" sound system for the 1st gen exploders use a factory amplifier located behind the trim panel on the passenger side at the far rear... opposite the jack and all that. it took about 35,215 christmas tree plugs but the thing comes off easy enough, though I broke most of the christmas trees.

the reason the wiring kit was so expensive is because it comes complete with a second harness (i didnt know WHAT the heck it could be for until I saw the amp) to bypass the amplifier completely. Its the only kit so far I have seen with the amp harness too, and I checked about 6 different places before stopping at advance auto for ships n giggles.

for anyone else planning on experiencing this headache, save the trouble and go track down a Metra harness for fords of that year stating "Premium sound system". its model 70-5514 or WHFPS, this is the one that comes complete with a factory amplifier bypass harness.

I learned my lesson the hard way, hopefully I can save someone else the headache :p Oh, and Ill be posting pics as I go along when I mount my Cadence Z8000 150x2 amp behind the trim panel where the factory amp was, and cutting out the pocket in the panel for a plexi window :) If only I had money for new component speakers lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That info is posted in a sticky in the Stereo section...

Here is what I did with that additional area where the pocket was...

Ryan

....just how in the heck did you get a optimus battery in there ? :eek:

LOL spd, guess all the searching in the world doesnt do a damn bit of good if you search in the wrong place ;)

nice job with the battery. Boggs, if you cut the pocket out, theres MILES of room back there. theres so much room behind that trim panel with the pocket removed I thought about throwing a fridge and a couch in there and renting the space.

Ah yes, I found out I have a premium sound system. Funny, cause it sounded like :censored:. Got a bunch of extra wiring harnesses laying around now, and a little less cash in the pocket. I couldn't get my darn install kit working either, I just said.... "I'm not dealing with this anymore". And stuck it in there with some foam tape I found :rolleyes:

LOL spd, guess all the searching in the world doesnt do a damn bit of good if you search in the wrong place ;)

nice job with the battery. Boggs, if you cut the pocket out, theres MILES of room back there. theres so much room behind that trim panel with the pocket removed I thought about throwing a fridge and a couch in there and renting the space.

hmmmmm...... i do have a 12 volt dc powered fridge :D lol

That is not your typical OPTIMA Battery....it's a special design that is a bit narrower for installs like mine...

Notice how the 3 rear cylinders are staggered, unlike the '6pack' configuration that is usually found on the Optima type batteries.

Ryan

Back