Headunit Install HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Headunit Install HELP!!

04RNGRXLT90

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, Im trying to do a simple head unit install in my 02 Explorer XLT, theres NO sub, all stock stereo. BUT!! the radio does stay on when i turn the car off and take the key out (until i open the door) Im starting to read that this matter (please clarify for me) Ill list out what I have and the problems Im facing' SORRY FOR THE SIZE OF THE PICS!! COULDNT REDUCE!

I have:
Pioneer Head Unit (single deck/din)

mount kit similar to this
mountkit.jpg

Aftermarket Stero Harness (plugs into stock stero haress) bought off Amazon
e8971763-42ba-4ff9-9ef3-f882c05619e2.jpg

Wiring Color Codes that came with Aftermarket Harness above^:
IMG_2037.jpg

Main Stereo Harness (stock) Fits into aftermarket harness perfectly :
IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

Secondary Mystery Plug! (has 2 wires, also plugs into stock radio, but i have no clue what to do with these wires, here lies my problem!
IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Sooooo, Id like to know what I do with that secondary plug, the yellow & Gray w/blk wires. If i have to splice, where and to what (which specific wire/s) Id have to go in. Please help!! Im stuck and I dont want to make a bad choice and ruin my system.

MANY THANKS!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't need that 2nd plug. Yellow I think is a mute wire possibly. And the other one is a vehicle speed sense wire. Some factory radios had a feature that would allow them to get louder as vehicle speed increases. Shouldn't need either one.

Hey guys, Im trying to do a simple head unit install in my 02 Explorer XLT, theres NO sub, all stock stereo. BUT!! the radio does stay on when i turn the car off and take the key out (until i open the door) Im starting to read that this matter (please clarify for me) Ill list out what I have and the problems Im facing' SORRY FOR THE SIZE OF THE PICS!! COULDNT REDUCE!

I have:
Pioneer Head Unit (single deck/din)

mount kit similar to this
mountkit.jpg

Aftermarket Stero Harness (plugs into stock stero haress) bought off Amazon
e8971763-42ba-4ff9-9ef3-f882c05619e2.jpg

Wiring Color Codes that came with Aftermarket Harness above^:
IMG_2037.jpg

Main Stereo Harness (stock) Fits into aftermarket harness perfectly :
IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2032.jpg

Secondary Mystery Plug! (has 2 wires, also plugs into stock radio, but i have no clue what to do with these wires, here lies my problem!
IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

Sooooo, Id like to know what I do with that secondary plug, the yellow & Gray w/blk wires. If i have to splice, where and to what (which specific wire/s) Id have to go in. Please help!! Im stuck and I dont want to make a bad choice and ruin my system.

MANY THANKS!!!

That's right, you don't,t use that plug.

On the concern of:

"BUT!! the radio does stay on when i turn the car off and take the key out (until i open the door) Im starting to read that this matter (please clarify for me)"

Your vehicle has accessory delay and will keep the stereo on for a prescribed amount of delay time. The delay is terminated once a door opens up. That is normal and expected.

Hi. I am currently doing the same thing by installing a performance audio, and soon to be video system in my 04. Here are the wires, and yes they are correct as this list has them.

2004 Ford Explorer Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Light Green
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Yellow/Black
Car Radio Ground Wire: Black
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Light Blue/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: If equipped, the factory amplifier is located behind the trim panel on the right side of the cargo area.
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: 5"x7"
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: Door
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Light Green
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Light Blue/White
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Dark Green/Orange
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): White/Light Green
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: 5"x7"
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: Door
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Gray/Light Blue
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Tan/Yellow
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Orange/Red
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Brown/Pink

This information comes from:
http://www.modifiedlife.com/2004-ford-explorer-car-stereo-wiring-diagram/

I hope I helped!

Now to post my dome light question.

Thank you all! I went ahead and installed it color on color with the aftermarket harness. You all were right the second plug was no necessary. The kit I got from walmart did not fit too well tho. Wasnt too happy about that.

The stereo works fine and I'm actually impressed with the stock sound system, But when I drive it tends to come out but not fall out (not flush with the bezel anymore). I even screwed the support bracket on the unit and slide it on the metal peice inside where the stereo goes. Any suggestions ?? This is a pic of it

PhotoFeb12113528AM.jpg

Did you happen to get the dimming feature to work. I still don't understand how to wire mine and it must be incorrect because it works incorrectly.

Back