Hearing Noise When Turning Wheel Deep To Left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hearing Noise When Turning Wheel Deep To Left

hillre51

Reaction score
City, State
vine grove, ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer eddie bauer
Good afternoon, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer with 119K miles (4.0 engine). Problem: Hearing noise when turning steering wheel deeply to left. Sounds like something is rubbing. I found some grease on top of lower ball joint right beneath the clamp on the drive axle boot on passenger side front. Also seen some grease on brake hose. I don't see any tears or cuts in the rubber boot. Could the problem be a loose or worn out Crimp-clamp and or bad cv joint in the axle? Is it possible to re-pack the boot with grease and put a worm-type clamp on it? Or is it best to just replace the drive axle? What else could be causing the rubbing type noise? Could it be the tire rubbing the steering stops? Have any of you experience this problem with your Explorer and if so, how did you resolve it? Thanks, appreciate any responses and your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a noise like this from my 05. The other day I figured out it was the outer boot on the axle. Basically it's rubbing against itself when at extreme angles. No breaks and no flung grease though. I've yet to lubricate it to see if it'll stop. Was driving me crazy. Have someone steer your car at low speed while you get down and listen.

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking it's the CV joint on that axle although i dont see any tears/cuts in the boot but I did see grease as stated before. I will drive it a couple days and re-check and have wife back turn wheel while backing up, etc.........only hear it while turning deep so i'm assuming the deep turn must be putting stress on joint where grease has leaked out.

I've had a noise like this from my 05. The other day I figured out it was the outer boot on the axle. Basically it's rubbing against itself when at extreme angles. No breaks and no flung grease though. I've yet to lubricate it to see if it'll stop. Was driving me crazy. Have someone steer your car at low speed while you get down and listen.

Don't forget to let us know what you end up doing to fix the issue.

Alright, I hadn't got a chance to figured it out yet. I will definitely let you know. I expect to check it out this week or weekend. Thanks

Don't forget to let us know what you end up doing to fix the issue.

might be the wheel bearings/hub?

FYI,

I put another set of stabilizer links on mine and re-adjusted the stabilizer bar and re-torqued the nuts on both links. Now have to test drive to see if problem still exists. I did find on the internet that it could be the outer CV joint if a noise is heard when making a deep left turn (although you may not see grease). The way to test to determine if bad CV joint, they claim is the back the vehicle up and make deep turns in a circle (ensuring windows are down and radio is in off mode). I noticed that the steering stops are right up against my steering knuckle on when making a deep left or a deep right turn. FORD dealer parts department told me that there should be clearance between the knuckle and the steering stops regardless of how deep the turn is. I'm assuming this may be my problems (rubbing steering stops/steering knuckle). However it seem that I only hear the rubbing noise when backing into the driveway during a deep turn to left. Sound like something is rubbing bad but once the steering wheel is straighten, there is no noise heard. Very strange. I believe I will take mine to a shop to see what they say just to find out if it may be a bad CV joint. I'll be back. Probably next weekend 11 April 2014. Take care

might be the wheel bearings/hub?

Let us know, I get similar sounds. Nubs on knuckle are making contact too. Thought it odd.

I had a loose stabilizer link on driver side. The noise seems to be gone when turning a deep left. I also lubricated the wheel stops with high temperature grease.

Let us know, I get similar sounds. Nubs on knuckle are making contact too. Thought it odd.

Back