Heat all the time | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat all the time

Rocketman1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
My 1995 XLT Explorer blows hot air all the time. No matter where the temp knob is set it still blows hot air.
I went under the hood and found the temp control valve and manually changed the lever. This worked the air got cool as long as I was holding it from its original position. I am guessing that this thing works off of vacuum?
Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Heat all the time.

I have been researching and see alot of references to the blender door.
I can change the temp to cool by moving the switch on the heater control valve. It just goes back to the original setting when I turn loose. This is why I dont think it could be the door. Am I wrong? I really dont understand how the whole system works.

What is the temperature control lever?

If you turn the control all the way to "Max A/C" do you get cold air then? In that mode, the heater core bypass valve will close and the air will get cool even if the door is stuck.

On the back side of the temp control valve (opposite of the vacuum hook-up) there is a little arm that can be moved by hand. I can change the air temp by moving this arm.
When I turn the a/c to max cool, the air does get cooler.

I apologize for the lack of proper descriptions and names of the parts. I am not very educated in these types of things.

Thanks for your help.

iboneward

On the back side of the temp control valve (opposite of the vacuum hook-up) there is a little arm that can be moved by hand. I can change the air temp by moving this arm.
When I turn the a/c to max cool, the air does get cooler.

I apologize for the lack of proper descriptions and names of the parts. I am not very educated in these types of things.

Thanks for your help.

Keep us informed. My problem is no heat but could be same fix. Went to auto zone today and ordered a new heater control valve - to be in tomorrow. Today I flussed the heater core thinking it was clogged but it seemed fine. Clerk at auto zone said its either the control value or door (sorry forgot actual name - something door). I'll update my success or lack there of.

Keep us informed. I have same problem. Went to auto zone today and ordered a new heater control valve - to be in tomorrow. Today I flussed the heater core thinking it was clogged but it seemed fine. Clerk at auto zone said its either the control value of door (sorry forgot actual name - something door). I'll update my success or lack there of.

Also, I did not know you could trigger the control value to get the heat started like you posted. I did inspect the existing control value closely but did not realize that - I will try.

I replaced the control valve this afternoon. This didnt help. The valve has what seems to be a hard vacuum line running to it. I did notice there was no suction from this line no matter where the temp setting was. Should there be?
Where does line connect on the other end? One end connects to the control valve and the other end disappears between the fender well and the engine.

Thanks alot. Any help is appreciated.

If the air feels cold when in Max A/C, but hot when in regular A/C mode and the temp control is fully in the blue zone, it typically indicates a blend door problem.

But if you can control the temperature by moving some arm behind the control knob, then I don't think it is. Is the blend door in the 95 mechanical?

Back