Heat and A/C will not blow through main vents. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heat and A/C will not blow through main vents.

BamaRaised

Reaction score
City, State
Heflin, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Eddie Bauer 4.0
I am having an issue where the heat and A/C will blow from the tiny (defrost?) vents positioned above the main adjustable dash vents, but I get nothing from the main dash vents or the ones by the controls. The blower is still blowing strong but it can only push so much through those tiny vents. I have also noticed a fair amount of heat coming from the middle console down by the gas pedal. This happens even when the heat is turned off. It's enough to be uncomfortable on bare skin while driving. Any advice on how to go about fixing this would be greatly appreciated.

Make/Model: 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check whats called the ac check valve in the engine bay. Next find the thread called A/C won't blow through dash vents and read through it.

As of this posting on my mobile device that thread is on page 2 of the stock 4th gen fourm. You can also do a search for it.

I finally got around to taking the glove box out, and I have confirmed that is it due to the door that is controlled by the motor and arm not staying open. I can force it open and cool air blows through all of the vents, but as soon as I take pressure off the arm it closes again. I am guessing the only way to fix this is to replace the motor itself? Or is there anything else that could possibly be causing this? The arm that is attached to the motor and door is not broken. Thanks in advance!

I didn't realize until just now that if the check valve is bad it will cause the doors to close to defrost. I overlooked that part of the thread mentioned. I am going to check that tomorrow to make sure. Thanks for the advice!

On mine, the motor was fine but the tab on the door that hooks up to the motor arm had broken off. I recall looking for the part but never actually found it - you are talking about replacing that entire center plenum to get a new door.
Check it again - if the motor is working but no longer attached to the door then get creative. I drilled a hole in the door tang and then used a tie wrap to reattach it to the door. I have a video of it in operation - I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Edit - I see now that the OP says his arm is attached. I found a pic and posted it anyway for future reference. I don't see a way to post the video but this shows how I reattached everything.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.JPG
    IMG_1110.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 128

On mine, the motor was fine but the tab on the door that hooks up to the motor arm had broken off. I recall looking for the part but never actually found it - you are talking about replacing that entire center plenum to get a new door.
Check it again - if the motor is working but no longer attached to the door then get creative. I drilled a hole in the door tang and then used a tie wrap to reattach it to the door. I have a video of it in operation - I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Edit - I see now that the OP says his arm is attached. I found a pic and posted it anyway for future reference. I don't see a way to post the video but this shows how I reattached everything.
Thanks for the response! Yes I have verified that the tab and the arm are still in tact. I was suspecting a bad motor, but I am pretty sure I found the issue while checking the check valve. Turns out the little hose that connects to the rubber boot, which connects to the valve, was cracked and it fell apart while I was removing the valve. The valve itself seems to be fine as I can only blow air through it in one direction. Does anyone know what the proper name for this part would be? Also, if anyone knows where it leads that would be very helpful. I see that it goes down behind the engine, but everything is so cluttered up I can't tell where it goes. I tried to temp repair it with some epoxy but it broke again in a different place while I was in the process of doing that. I suppose it is just brittle from years of heat exposure and the whole thing needs replacing. Doesn't look like it's going to be a fun job to do. lol

Attachments

• 0526201452.jpg
    0526201452.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 127

The end that goes behind the engine attaches on the drivers side of the intake manifold. Its a little rubber piece with the grey and i think a red vaccum hose. The other end goes through the firewall to the vacuum canister located in the passenger footwell.

The end that goes behind the engine attaches on the drivers side of the intake manifold. Its a little rubber piece with the grey and i think a red vaccum hose. The other end goes through the firewall to the vacuum canister located in the passenger footwell.
Can these hoses be purchased? I am having a difficult time finding them.

Back