Heat issue

smiley87

Reaction score
City, State
Wasilla, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Hello,

I have no idea what to do next but here is what is going on.

My heat works okay when driving (the temp gauge is in the normal range, and the air is warm, not super hot, but warm. The anti-freeze levels are okay and there are no leaks that I can see, but as soon as I stop at a stop light, or park at a store, the air turn cold and stays cold until I start driving again and then it gets warm again.

What should I check next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2004 Explorer

I have the exact same problem as Smiley 87. I havn't used my heat all summer because I had a bad actuator motor I just replaced the motor and the only time I get heat is when I'm giving it gas. All hoses are warm. Can it be the thermostat. Help please.

No ideas?

Anybody got any tips on what I should do from here?

Smiley,

My heat actually gets really hot when I give it gas but then goes to mediocre warm when at idle. I see we haven't gotten any response yet but I've been told it's a vaccum leak. Anybody have any thoughts or a diagram of vaccum lines for a 2004 Explores V6 regular gas engine.

yeah there is a vacuum valve connected to the water lines that run to the heater core. Check that to make sure it is operating properly. Sounds like it is closing on you while at a stop. The valve is opened with vacuum from the engine when the controls inside are set to any heat setting. You probably have a vacuum leak in the line that goes to the valve which is causing it to close at idle.

Back