• Register Today It's free!

Heat Issues

Shypita

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer
I just bought my 93 Explorer and after paying a garage bill of $1200 to enable the inspection to pass I find myself short on funds so need to fix my heat issues myself. This is where I need your help... I have researched parts and prices for all possibilities but do not want to buy parts if not needed. I do have a little lukewarm heat but not enough to keep windshield defrosted nor stay warm. My blower only works on high speed, is loud, and doesn't blow much air. So I am thinking I definitely need a new blower motor along with a thermostat, but need to know which would be better... the 180f or the 195f. Is there anything else that could be effecting the lack of heat as I do not want to tear things apart twice. Any input would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

I just bought my 93 Explorer and after paying a garage bill of $1200 to enable the inspection to pass I find myself short on funds so need to fix my heat issues myself. This is where I need your help... I have researched parts and prices for all possibilities but do not want to buy parts if not needed. I do have a little lukewarm heat but not enough to keep windshield defrosted nor stay warm. My blower only works on high speed, is loud, and doesn't blow much air. So I am thinking I definitely need a new blower motor along with a thermostat, but need to know which would be better... the 180f or the 195f. Is there anything else that could be effecting the lack of heat as I do not want to tear things apart twice. Any input would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Goodness PA must be a PITA to pass inspections. Along with what Turdle recommended, you have to decide how hot you want your heat to select the proper thermostat. I wrote up a thread to help with a thermostat change, here's the link:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2889580#post2889580.

I installed a 180* t-stat, but on a 20* morning (about the coldest it gets in TN) it kinda pushes the limits for any type of hot heat. I know PA gets pretty cold so I'd prob go with the 195*.

If the heat is luke warm, you might want to look into the heater core. $23 and no more than 30min to change (if that). The haynes manual is pretty descriptive on how to change the heater core.

Thanks

After reading threads I'll definitely check it out while I have it apart. Will go with the 195, gets pretty cold here. Many thanks.

Back