• Register Today It's free!

Heat shield rattling

MarkB

Reaction score
City, State
PHX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Thanks to info gathered through past posts, I did not freak out when an annoying rattling sound emmanated from below my Explorer. The heat shield around the catalytic (sp?) converter had broken loose. I wrapped clothes hanger wire around it. It no longer rattles, but is this something that needs professional attention or is my "we salute you duct tape" approach cool?

------------------
91 Explorer
4.0 4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, whatever works. I put a large hose clamp on mine. I guess the right thing to do would be to tack weld it. Oh well!

------------------
Bill Collins
93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Modified

Mine does the same thing at about 2200-2300 RPM. It's loud and annoying as hell. What should I do about it?

------------------
Happy Wheelin,

Andy Statland
'97 XLT 4.0L OHV 4Dr 4x4
Warrior Twist in the works

Over this past winter mine was also rattling. Man what a pain. Then all of a sudden it stoped! I recently took a look at it and it was on. Now that is a bit strange but im happy.

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4
Bosch Plat+4's with SplitFire Dual Core wires and a
K&N Air Filter with a Modified Air Box

Same problem here....hangar worked for me. Not pretty, but cheap and I am the only one who knows its there.

------------------
Ogden, Utah
1992 XLT

I used a very large stainless screw band clamp on the shieds to stop the rattling. It work great for me.

Bob S
1994 xlt 4x4 4dr
front and rear class 3 hitches

Same thing happened to mine when I first bought it. Sounded like my truck was falling apart. I too read past post and post a couple of questions myself on the matter. I ended up just taking it off. No big deal. The guys up here said they could spot weld it back on for me if I wanted for 30 bucks. Right now its no big deal. I know you should have one when off-roading but I've had no problems with it off and I've been off-road about 4 times since I took it off. Just a quick solution to an easy fixable problem.

------------------
James K
94 Eddie Bauer 4x4
K&N Drop In
Modified Air Box
Dynomax Super Turbo Cat-Back
Hypertech Module
expo1994@yahoo.com
"Kickin Up Dust"

I guess I am confused, but what is the purpose of the heat shield shield? I know that it keeps heat away from that part of the body, but is it necessary? Considering the problems that everyone has had, it does not seem so.

The heat shield is there to prevent any flammable items from touching/getting close enough to the cats to catch fire. It also acts to dissipate heat from the cats as well. If you happen to stop in some tall grass, there is a better chance of finding your Explorer a smoking hulk without the shield than with it.

Tom

My Explorer has/had heat sheilding all down the tailpipe. 2 pieces used to rattle, but I took one off and one got torn off by an empty bag of cement that was blowing through the road. there is another starting to rattle, oh well.....

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4
80,000 miles
K&N Drop-in
Bosch +4's
BFG Long Trails
Have a nice day! :)

Back