Heated Mirrors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated Mirrors

I knew the 8-pin connectors I am using to replace the stock 8-pin connectors were bigger, but didn’t know if they would fit through the hole in the outside of the door behind the mirror. Stock is round, mine are rectangular. Turns out the male part just fit through the hole but the female side was too big. Glad I checked that haha
Vw3kkZ.jpg
dimUOD.jpg

So here is the stock heated mirror connector with the lock removed and the (2) extra circuits that are not part of the stock circuit removed from the connector to expose the terminal pins. The tape indicates the hot wire since one is brown and one is black and they both look black to me. Going by the factory wiring diagram, that wire is power to the heated part of the mirror.
SUUxFN.jpg

The plan is to remove these terminal pins and install new terminal pins. The reason is because all I could find among all my harnesses were connectors with large pins. If I had some small pin connectors I could have kept all of the the pins on the wires and just installed them into the new connectors. Of course it wasn’t that easy haha.
I ordered some terminal pins that fit the connectors. Then I cut off the old terminal pins and crimped on new pins. I have the proper crimping tool and it comes out pretty nice.
E29P6F.jpg
YbgfVT.jpg

Pic on the right: to the right is the original terminal cut off, to the left is the new terminal crimped onto the original wire.

Once the pins are crimped onto the wires, they need to be installed into the connector.
7mZN5A.jpg
czBalb.jpg

Pic on the right: the red plastic lock is installed, keeping the pins in place. Also in background is original connector and crimp tool.
Here is the new repinned mirror connector, hanging down inside the door with mirror installed. The original round connector is shown down below still connected to door wiring.
WWZA78.jpg

Then it was time to repin the door wires. The wires were barely long enough to get the tools in but it worked out.
Q8UPUh.jpg
D6mgGP.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the connector in the stock location.
Oc90Kz.jpg

Mirror motors function as they should.
(1) power and (1) ground wires have been run into the cabin.
Sounds like mission accomplished to me haha
Site only allows 10 pics per post BTW

Thanks for reading
It was great to finally get this done.
I need heated mirrors. Hoping the pass side goes a little easier with no parking brake in the way haha

Good job, wiring can be enjoyable, but it's always tedious, etc.

Good job, wiring can be enjoyable, but it's always tedious, etc.

Thanks for the kind words
I used to hate wiring years ago but i have grown to like it and respect it

First I spied a good factory ground location in kick panel location.
SKZtC7.jpg

I was able to wire up the mirrors to the defroster switch, using a test light I found the BR/LB wire that supplies power to the defroster.
rZz1xn.jpg

Then I used a heat shrink butt connector to connect the original wire plus (2) hot wires. This butt connector has the goop inside and is bigger on one end than the other. After heat shrinking the connection, I used electrical tape just to keep everything together.
lxZdXb.jpg

Test confirms that the heater works. I ran the wire for the pass side but just left it for now. It is taped off so it’s not dangerous and won’t pop any fuses. I plan on installing the pass side mirror once I get the stock glass replaced with regular glass.
With the power wire already hooked up it should go fairly well I hope.

Well done. I like that slick butt connector, I have a collection of various terminals and connectors. It's no fun when you need a certain type that you don't have, or can't find quickly.

Well done. I like that slick butt connector, I have a collection of various terminals and connectors. It's no fun when you need a certain type that you don't have, or can't find quickly.

Thanks again for the kind words.
I actually found that butt connector on my roll cart, must have been from my last job. I only had one so had to get it right the first time. Took a bit to get all (3) wires into it but it seems to work great so far.

I began using home copper terminals, little rings about 1/4" in diameter, to connect larger wires. That worked, but I prefer the yellow car type better. When I added a remote starter to a Crown Vic, before I discovered "T" harnesses, I stripped and soldered directly to the main ignition wires. I didn't want to cut those for any reason. The "T" harness is a slick device for connecting to the main wiring at the ignition switch.

Keep an eye out for any 95-01 Limited's, in case those mirrors are in better shape, and less rare now than the 93/94 Limited.

Keep an eye out for any 95-01 Limited's, in case those mirrors are in better shape, and less rare now than the 93/94 Limited.

Thanks for the heads up
The drivers mirror is NIB 94 OEM mirror, pass is used but OK. Wanted to use the correct mirrors on this truck, I saw that the 2nd gens have puddle lights etc but I prefer the less rounded stock mirrors and I don’t need puddle lights. I have wiring diagram for 94 already too, didn’t want to have to buy more manuals and remember what year different parts came from.

I liked my 93 Limited a lot, the options were worth while to have. I like the 2nd gen mirrors better, but I had my 93 truck repainted in 2000. Those 1st gen mirrors are much better to paint I think, they have a porous surface that's easy to paint.

Used the heated drivers mirror this morning, it was 27 degrees and there was ice on mirrors and windshield. Heated mirror worked well and heated up quickly. Very happy with the results. Can’t wait to get the pass side in.

Great job and write up!

Back