Heated/Puddle Mirrors on a '97 Sport? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated/Puddle Mirrors on a '97 Sport?

zman7125

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Just purchased this '97 Sport, looking to swap a set of Heated/Puddle Mirrors on it (my '01 Sport & '00 Limited had them they were great in the Buffalo winter) my question is are these plug & play? I know the heated mirrors are ran through the defrosters so would I have to run a separate wire from the Defroster switch to the mirror? Thanks guys!

1FMCU24E5VUB70692_1.jpg

1FMCU24E5VUB70692_2.jpg

1FMCU24E5VUB70692_5.jpg

1FMCU24E5VUB70692_14.jpg

I couldn't see your pics, but I did this mod several years back when I had my '96 Eddie Bauer. I got heated mirrors from a wrecked 2nd gen Limited. I just tapped into the rear defrost circuit and routed the wires out to the new mirrors. You just need to ID the positive power wire from the defrost, as your mirror will already be grounded. A wiring diagram will help and I also took both sides of the mirror wiring connector from the Limited. They won't be plug and play. I found it easier to splice the connector from the donor onto the exisiting vehicle's wiring once I had identified the corresponding wires. They worked fine in the winter and it's definitely a worthwhile addition to a vehicle without heated mirrors. The hardest part I found was routing the defrost wire out from the body into the door, through the rubber wiring harness protector. Just make sure that wire is fully protected from any metal edges that could rub through the insulation. Oh yeah, bench test your heated mirrors first to make sure they are working well. You can feel the heat after a couple of minutes of power on them.

Back