Heated Seat Doesn't Work (Driver's Side Only) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Heated Seat Doesn't Work (Driver's Side Only)

n805aquaholic

Reaction score
City, State
Sequoia NP, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
My 2014 Explorer Sport will not heat the driver's seat. When I turn it on, I hear a click, the fan spools up for a second, then I hear another click after a few seconds. After this, the driver's side is completely unresponsive until I stop and start the ignition again.
Passenger side functions fine, and doesn't have that 2nd click (until I turn it off), so I'm thinking the driver's side is faulting out for some reason.

I've searched the forums but have only found people having issues with both seats.
I did recently purchase the Dealer Service Manual CD, but have yet to find the troubleshooting section for this.

Any guidance is appreciated!

UPDATE:
I developed some other issues after troubleshooting myself and taking it to the dealer for diagnosis. I got this completed in two trips instead of leaving the vehicle overnight, since my nearest dealer is two hours away.

Took it to the dealer, and they found code B103C-60-DCSM. Pin test indicated to replace lower seat TEDs (thermoelectric devices) part no. 8A5Z-19N550-C, which fixed the heated seat =]

I also was not able to shift out of park after disconnecting the battery while troubleshooting the heated seats myself. They fixed that by replacing part no. SW-6559 (brake light fail switch)

Additionally, the lefthand instrument panel was giving me intermittent messages of "Terrain Management System Fault"- NOT COOL when we had just got 3-4 ft of snow. This dealer was able to narrow it down to the cheap aftermarket VTP "alarm system" that my original dealer had mounted on the dash... This dealer was nice enough to remove it free of charge!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be the same issue as the passenger seat but unfortunately the member who began the thread never reported back ot posted again; 2016 Limited 2nd row passenger heated seat not working There is a fuse for Climate Controlled Seats but since the passenger seat is working I doubt that is the problem.
Not exactly what you mean by "reset the Sync". There is a 'Master Reset' option n the MFT settings. Perhaps that is what you are referring to?

Peter

That Master Reset must be what was referenced. I'll do that today. It said all SD cards and USB devices should first be unplugged, so I didn't want to dive into it last night.

I agree on a fuse probably not being the issue with the seat.

Now I've created another issue by disconnecting the battery: It won't shift out of Park. I was able to locate the solenoid to manually override. Brake lights still work. Will be checking fuse no. 18 later. Now I want to know what engineer decided to require a socket wrench and circus experience to change a fuse...

......... Now I want to know what engineer decided to require a socket wrench and circus experience to change a fuse...
I'm hoping but not holding my breath that the cabin fuse panel location may change in the 2020 model. There is no way that I can access that. If you keypad lights up then I think fuse #18 should be good since it controls various items.

Peter

If you keypad lights up then I think fuse #18 should be good since it controls various items.

Peter

I saw that it controls various items, so now I'm not too sure. By keypad, do they mean the keyless entry on the door?

I saw that it controls various items, so now I'm not too sure. By keypad, do they mean the keyless entry on the door?
Yes, the Securicode keyless entry panel on the door's black plastic panel.

Keypad illuminates, so I'm out of ideas.

Got an appointment with the dealership tomorrow, will report what I learn.

I also intend to get a code reader. I'm getting better at navigating the Ford service manual, and DTCs are a key part of troubleshooting.

Attachments

• Seating DTC.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 874

Thanks for your responses Peter; I've updated the OP to include my solution for anyone's future reference...

I just bought my 2016 limited and after a week the driver heated seat stopped working. The back will heat up but not the seat cushion. Any direction on where to look for a bad connection or how to check the heating element?

Thanks for your responses Peter; I've updated the OP to include my solution for anyone's future reference...
So what was the actual problem/fix? Thanks.

Peter

I just bought my 2016 limited and after a week the driver heated seat stopped working. The back will heat up but not the seat cushion. Any direction on where to look for a bad connection or how to check the heating element?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

So what was the actual problem/fix? Thanks.

Peter

See the updated Original Post.

I'll pull up the troubleshooting procedures and post a response for you shortly...

First, note that I have the 2014 Explorer, and that there have been some changes within the 2011+ generation.
So in my case, I had the DTC error code B103C in the DCSM module (Thermoelectric driver open load). If you get the code read, usually free at places like Autozone or most dealers, I can be of more help. From here, I will provide the solution to my problem in more detail.

This error indicates to follow a particular "pin test" using a multimeter to narrow down the defective part. If you feel comfortable using a digital multi-meter to measure resistance and voltage, I could probably walk you through the test procedure. This one involves first disconnecting the seat's airbags and computer connections so you can isolate and test the suspected defective part. Mine turned out to be the blower. The dealer removed the entire seat from the car in order the replace the part.

Let me know if you think this is within your scope of experience and I will do my best to assist. For some reason, I keep getting an error when I try to upload a .jpg or .pdf... May be related to the incoming weather system and my satellite internet.

And honestly, with it being a week after purchase, I'd suggest trying to contact the dealer to see if they will take care of it. Or did you buy it private party?

Thanks for getting back with me so quick. Yes I know how to handle a multi meter I’m just looking for directions on where and what to measure.

First, note that I have the 2014 Explorer, and that there have been some changes within the 2011+ generation.
So in my case, I had the DTC error code B103C in the DCSM module (Thermoelectric driver open load). If you get the code read, usually free at places like Autozone or most dealers, I can be of more help. From here, I will provide the solution to my problem in more detail.

This error indicates to follow a particular "pin test" using a multimeter to narrow down the defective part. If you feel comfortable using a digital multi-meter to measure resistance and voltage, I could probably walk you through the test procedure. This one involves first disconnecting the seat's airbags and computer connections so you can isolate and test the suspected defective part. Mine turned out to be the blower. The dealer removed the entire seat from the car in order the replace the part.

Let me know if you think this is within your scope of experience and I will do my best to assist. For some reason, I keep getting an error when I try to upload a .jpg or .pdf... May be related to the incoming weather system and my satellite internet.

And honestly, with it being a week after purchase, I'd suggest trying to contact the dealer to see if they will take care of it. Or did you buy it private party?

I bought it at a ford dealer but with over 36,000 miles so the bumper to bumper warranty expired.

Bummer. I got a 3rd party warranty from Portfolio for a one-time fee. You might also look into if there is a period after purchase that you can still sign up for a warranty. I'm fairly limited without being able to post photos or file attachments... I'll try resetting my router and doing some other troubleshooting/research into forum limitations etc.

So I just went and paid for the Elite Explorers membership and am still unable to upload any photos. Must be my internet. I've been able to upload photos recently using my free account, despite my last annual EE dues having expired.

Get that code read, and I'll be able to give you precise troubleshooting before long.

So I just went and paid for the Elite Explorers membership and am still unable to upload any photos. Must be my internet. I've been able to upload photos recently using my free account, despite my last annual EE dues having expired.

Get that code read, and I'll be able to give you precise troubleshooting before long.
I will get the code read tomorrow and update the thread

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hohoho, got a file uploaded! alright, I'll search for some photos of where the airbag disconnect is located...

DCSM Pin Test.jpg

Back