• Register Today It's free!

Heater and AC fan switch

Joscibo

Reaction score
City, State
Central Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
My fan switch on my 04 Explorer has 4 settings low to Max. There isn't any difference in the first three settings. Basically it's low or max. What is the issue here? Previous owner said they already did blend door fix. It cools and heats fine other than low AC isn't cool enough at times and max will freeze you out and the noise on high gets annoying. Any suggestions please?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same problem.. a lot of other threads on here say its the control module on the fan box... not exactly sure what its called but i pulled the heater and a/c switch from the dash and noticed that the plug that goes into the back of the switch is melted a little.. i was wondering if anyone else had any input on this.. maybe its the switch its self instead of the fan motor control thing...

My fan switch on my 04 Explorer has 4 settings low to Max. There isn't any difference in the first three settings. Basically it's low or max. What is the issue here? Previous owner said they already did blend door fix. It cools and heats fine other than low AC isn't cool enough at times and max will freeze you out and the noise on high gets annoying. Any suggestions please?

You probably need to replace your blower motor resistor. They are easy to get at - right behind the glovebox. Here's a picture from an older post:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2082094&postcount=9

I think in 2004 Ford got rid of the 4X4 module that is shown in that pic, so you don't have that but the resistor should be in the same place.

I have the same problem.. a lot of other threads on here say its the control module on the fan box... not exactly sure what its called but i pulled the heater and a/c switch from the dash and noticed that the plug that goes into the back of the switch is melted a little.. i was wondering if anyone else had any input on this.. maybe its the switch its self instead of the fan motor control thing...

If you have the manual control like the OP (not DATC) then you might need to replace the blower motor resistor and/or the switch. I'd replace the resistor first as you can get it online from Ford for about $25. If that doesn't fix it then you can start sourcing the switch.

Thanks guys I will look into it.

On the same topic, mine doesn't really blow at all, like low is barely on and hi is like a low. On top of this i don't really have control over where the air is going. Like if i have it on the head it blows on the windshield and feet and if i change it to windshield it blows there and feet and head. All settings go that since blow all over. Boy ideas on how to get the air hot or cold to blow where i want it?

On the same topic, mine doesn't really blow at all, like low is barely on and hi is like a low. On top of this i don't really have control over where the air is going. Like if i have it on the head it blows on the windshield and feet and if i change it to windshield it blows there and feet and head. All settings go that since blow all over. Boy ideas on how to get the air hot or cold to blow where i want it?

Sounds like a bad blend door. Sticky section has more info on it look it up.

I thought the blend door was for hot or cold. That is being fixed by the used car dealer. That makes a clicking sound when i turn it from cold to hot. When i change the placement of the air it makes the vacuum sound and it really don't change. Would that maybe be a vacuum issue? But i will look into the thread you are talking about.

Back